Out & About
FAIR & FESTIVALS
It’s summertime and Chicagoland’s fairs and festivals are under way! Enjoy local community celebrations with a variety of entertainment, food, live music and craft fairs this season. The area’s premiere summertime events can be found in this issue. Be sure to look for the Sept./Oct. issue of Suburban family for the area’s best fall festivals.
Lisle Eyes to the Skies Festival. June 30th – July 2nd – Noon-11PM. Daily morning and evening hot air balloons launches, carnival, children’s area, craft fair, live music, over 50 food vendors, nightly balloon glows and fireworks, plus much more! 630-541-6095 www.eyestotheskies.org
Arlington Heights – Frontier Days Festival. June 30 – July 4. FREE ADMISSION, FREE Music Entertainment, Carnival Rides, 4th of July Parade, Family Activities, Pony Rides, Petting Zoo, 3v3 Soccer, Stampede Run 5K/10K, Arts & Crafts Marketplace, Food, and so much more! www.FrontierDays.org
Exchange Club of Naperville’s Ribfest. Celebrating 30 Years! June 30 – July 3. Rib contest, entertainment, carnival rides, games, fireworks on the 3rd. 12 Noon-10 pm Daily. Knoch Park, Naperville. 630-259-1129. www.ribfest.net
Music by the Lake. June 25 – August 13. Entertaining events, family programming, open-air lakeside setting. Williams Bay, Wisconsin (seven miles from Lake Geneva). 262-245-8501. www.musicbythelake.com
- Chicago Botanic Garden Art Festival – 6/30-7/2. Showcase of 95 unique artists overlooking 385 “acres of majesty.” 847-835-5440.
- Arlington Heights Frontier Days Festival – 6/30-7/4. Live music, carnival, parade, family activities, 3v3 Soccer, Stampede Run, arts and crafts marketplace, food. Arlington Heights. frontierdays.org
- Mount Prospect Lions Club 78th Annual Village Festival – 6/30-7/4. Fireworks, Carnival, Live Music, Beer, Food, Car Show. Melas Park, Mt. Prospect. mplions.org.
- Naperville Ribfest – 6/30-7/3. Large festival with top food vendors, rib contest, top-notch entertainment, carnival rides, games, fireworks on the 4th. Noon-10 PM Knoch Park, Naperville. ribfest.net.
- Lisle Eyes to the Skies Festival – 6/30-7/2. Daily launches of hot air balloons and balloon glows, carnival, children’s area, craft fair, live music, nightly fireworks, food. 630-541-6095.
- Morton Grove Days – 6/30-7/4. Parade, carnival, food court, entertainment, and fireworks on the 4th. American Legion Memorial Civic Center, Morton Grove. mortongrovedays.org.
- Palatine Jaycees Hometown Fest – 6/30-7/4. Parade, entertainment, food, family day activities, arts and crafts. Palatine. 847-604-0288.
- Taste of Oak Brook – 7/3. Features cuisine from Oak Brook restaurants, live bands, petting zoo and fireworks display. 4 PM. Oak Brook. 630-368-5005f
- Bensenville LibertyFest – 7/4. Parade, entertainment, food, beer tent, fireworks. Bensenville. 630-766-8888.
- Palos Hills Friendship Festival – 7/6-9. Food, petting zoo, carnival rides, bingo, live music, car show. Palos Hills. 708-598-3400.
- Rockin’ Ribfest – 7/6-9. BBQ cook-off, live music, car show. Lake in the Hills. 847-742-3378.
- Millennium Art Festival – 7/7-9. Artwork, live performances. Michigan Ave., Chicago. 847-926-4330.
- Barrington Brew Fest – 7/8. 50+ brewers, food, and entertainment 3-7 PM Barrington. 847-381-5030.
- Bristol Renaissance Faire – 7/8- 9/4. Unique medieval fair. Jousting, sword swallowing, magic. 16th century dances, crafts and music too. 10 AM-7 PM Sat. and Sun. Kenosha, WI. 847-395-7773.
- Frankfort Bluegrass Festival – 7/8-9. Concerts by top national and local bluegrass bands, workshops, food and kids’ activities. Frankfort. 815-469-6321.
- Glendale Heights Fest – 7/12-16. Live music, carnival rides, line dancing, food and kids’ activities. Glendale Heights. 630-909-5305.
July 13 – 16
Live music, Carnival rides, Food vendors,
Flea market, Car show, Health fair.
FREE admission and parking.
Washington Park, Itasca
Sponsored by the Itasca Lions Club
Taste of Westmont
July 13 – 16
Carnival Special, Battle of the Bands & More!
Restaurant Food Vendors, Craft Show, Beer & Wine Tent,
Carnival Wristband Specials
Live Music, Kids Activities & More!
Downtown Westmont On Cass Avenue
Vernon Hills Summer Celebration
June 13-16, 2017
Children’s activities, music, carnival rides, food & more.
Headliner: Toad the Wet Sprocket
Century Park in Vernon Hills, IL
- Bastille Days – 7/13-16. French-themed festival with live music, international marketplace, chef and wine demos. Milwaukee. 414-271-1416.
- Taste of Park Ridge – 7/13-15. Live music, food, movies, face painting, family fun zone. Park Ridge. tasteofparkrdige.com.
- Best of Countryside Carnival –7/13-16. Amusement rides, live music, food, beer tent. Countryside. 708-707-0688.
- McHenry Fiesta Days – 7/13-23. Multi-day music festival with car show, amusement rides, craft fair, parade. McHenry. mchenryfiestadays.com.
Arlington Heights Irish Fest
July 14th (5-11pm) & 15th (4-11pm)
Live music & food from Harrington’s
Arlington Heights Historical Museum grounds, corner of Euclid & Vail
- The Big Greek Food Fest – 7/14-16. Cooking classes, live music, dancers, kids’ activities and food. Niles. 847-647-8880.
- Windmill City Festival – 7/14-16. Pet parade, bags tournament, diaper derby, craft and vintage market. Batavia. windmillcityfest.org.
- Chicago Open Air – 7/14-16. Over 40 bands, gourmet man food, craft beer. Bridgeview. email@example.com.
- Pitchfork Festival – 7/14-16. Bands, food, crafts, prizes. Union Park, West Loop, Chicago. Chicago Park District. 312-742-PLAY.
- Plainfield Fest – 7/14-16. Rides, food, music, bags competition, pizza contest. West Electric Park, Plainfield. plainfieldfest.org.
- El Gran Festival Columbiano – 7/15-16. Columbian marketplace, artists, musicans and cuisine. Chicago 773-777-8898.
- Ethnic Arts Festival – 7/15-16. International art, dance, spoken word, visual arts and cuisine. Evanston. 847-448-4311.
- Naperville Ale Fest – 7/15. Sample 200+ unique craft beers. Live music and food. Naperville. info@NapervilleAleFest.com.
- Sacred Heart Germanfest – 7/20-23. German food, Carnival rides, bingo, live music, kids activities, Lombard. sacredheartgermanfest.com.
- Kane County Fair – 7/20-23. 4H Fair, livestock judging, live bands, championship bull riders, demolition derby. Kane County Fairgrounds, St. Charles. 630-584-6926.
- Downtown Block Party – 7/21-22. Live entertainment, kids activities and food from local restaurants. Mt. Prospect. 847-392-6616.
- Forest Park Music Fest – 7/21-23. Live bands, two beer gardens, sidewalk sale, carnival. Forest Park. 708-366-2543.
- Taste of River North – 7/21-23. Tasting portions by local chefs, live music, morning workouts. Chicago. 312-633-2600.
- Geneva Arts Fair – 7/22-23. Artisans in all media are showcased. Geneva. 630-232-6060.
Baconpalooza-Swine & Wine
Sat. 7/29 from 10AM – 4PM
Kishwaukee Fest Parade & Street Dance
Fri. 7/29 from 7PM – 10PM.
Downtown Dekalb, IL
- EAA Airventure – 7/24-30. Unique aviation family fun with air shows, live music and activities. Oshkosh, WI. Tickets: 920-426-4800.
- DuPage County Fair – 7/26-30. Annual fair features live music, tractor pull, rodeo, racing pigs, petting zoo, talent show. DuPage County Fairgrounds, Wheaton. 630-668-6636.
- Lake County Fair – 7/26-30. Truck and tractor pulls, flower show, talent contests, rodeo, demolition, music. Grayslake. 847-680-7200.
- Algonquin Founders’ Days – 7/27-30. Cardboard boat regatta, dog and cat show, parade, bake off, fireworks. Algonquin. 847-658-5340.
Thurs. – Sun. July 27-30
Music, carnival, food, beer garden & more
- Prairie Fest – 7/27-30. Food, music, fireworks, carnival, bingo. Wood Dale. 630-766-4900.
- Proud American Days – 7/27-30. Baby contest, beef cook off, live entertainment, military tribute. New Lenox. proudamericandays.org.
- Sugar Grove Corn Boil – 7/27-30. Concerts, fireworks, kids’ activities. Volunteer Park, Sugar Grove. 630-449-7999.
- Chicago International Dragon Boat Festival – 7/29 9 AM. Twenty paddlers move in unison in the spirit of teamwork from ancient China. Asian culture, food. visit www.gwndragonboat.com/Chicago.
- Streamwood Summer Celebration – 7/28-30. Parade, fireworks, carnival, and entertainment. Streamwood. 630-736-3803.
- Taste of Wisconsin – 7/28-30. Live music, chef demonstrations, and family friendly exhibits and activities. Kenosha, WI. 262-496-9400.
- Glenview Summer Art Fair – 7/29-30 . Over 100 artists exhibiting, children’s acitivities, food, music. Glenview. 847-724-4007.
McHenry County Fair – 8/1-6. Bands, motocross racing, tractor pulls, farm exhibits. Woodstock. 815-338-5315.
Northbrook Days – 8/2-6. Bocce ball tournament, carnival rides, games, raffles, live music and Taste of Northbrook. Northbrook. northbrookdays.com.
Summer Chi.Ill Music Festival – 8/3-6. Tropical rock music. Benefits Cornerstone Services. Pheasant Run Resort, St. Charles. summerchi-ill.com.
Kendall County Fair – 8/3-6. Livestock show, 4H auction, tractor pull, demolition derby, karaoke contest, music. Yorkville. 630-553-2860.
4 Days Filled with Fun!
August 3-6, 2017
Live Concerts, Carnival Rides, Great Food & Drinks
Fireworks Friday & Sunday 9:30pm
900-1050 W. Romeo Rd., Romeoville, IL
40th Annual Summer Daze of Warrenville
Aug. 4 (5-11:30PM) & Aug. 5 (10AM-11:30PM).
Featuring live music, food & car show.
FREE admission and parking.
Near the intersection of Rt. 56 (Butterfield) & Batavia Road
- Destination Asia Cultural Festival – 8/4-6. Explore the diverse cultures of Asia through music, dance, food, sumo wrestling. Floating lantern Fri night 6 PM. 630-968-0074.
- La Grange Endless Summer Fest – 8/4-6. Rides, entertainment, food, and music. Gordon Park, La Grange. lagrangeendlesssummerfest.com
- Taste of Orland Park – 8/4-6. Showcases some of Orland Park’s finest eateries. Live entertainment, kids activities. Orland Park. 708-403-6100.
- Taste of Roselle – 8/4-6. Food, entertainment, bingo, carnival and craft show. Roselle. 630-980-2000.
- Art and Soul on the Fox – 8/5-6. Juried artist show. Downtown Elgin. elginartandsoul.com.
The 13th Annual World of Faeries Festival
Aug. 5th (10am-7pm) & Aug. 6th (10am-5pm).
This is a fantasy festival and we encourage you to come in costume.
Showcases music and a vendor village along with family entertainment.
Vasa Park, South Elgin
- Gurnee Days – 8/10-13. Rides, races, bike rodeo, ice cream eating contest, car show, music, food. Gurnee, IL. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Illinois State Fair – 8/10-20. Big-name musical entertainment, livestock, 4H exhibits, carnival, food, tractor pulls. Springfield. 217-782-6661.
- Riverfest Express – 8/17-20. Entertainment, craft show, trolley rides, and fireworks. Aug 16 is “A Special Night for Special Kids”. Carnival rides, entertainment and food for children with special needs and their families at no charge (pre-register). South Elgin. 847-774-1151.
- Taste of Elmwood Park – 8/10-13. Local restaurant food, entertainment, crafts, bocce tournament. Elmwood Park. elmwoodpark.org.
- Ginza Holiday Festival – 8/11-13. Enjoy Japanese food, culture and entertainment. Chicago. 312-943-7801.
- The Fest for Beatle Fans – 8/11-13. Celebration of the Fab Four with music, art, lectures, contests and marketplace. Rosemont. 866-THE-FEST.
12th Annual Veggie Fest Chicago
One of the Largest in North America
August 12 -13, 11 a.m.- 8 p.m.
FREE Admission – FREE Parking
International Food Court, Live Music, Children’s Activities,
Food Demos, Speakers, over 100 Vendors and More!
5700 College Road, Lisle IL
Lisle, IL. 630-955-1200
- French Connection Day – 8/13. Day-long festival of music, food, art and family fun. 10AM-4PM. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. 630-260-8162 or www.cantigny.org.
- Venetian Festival – 8/16-20. Water ski show, lighted boat parade, carnival, fireworks. Lake Geneva, WI. Venetianfest.com.
- Milwaukee Irish Fest – 8/17-20. 100+ acts celebrating Celtic culture, plus contests, lessons. Milwaukee. irishfest.com.
- Chicagoland Country and Swing Dance Festival – 8/18-20. Workshops, competitions and dance parties. Rosemont. 765-563-1111.
- Sangria Festival – 8/20. Hand-crafted Sangria, Spanish food and arts, flamenco dancing, ethnic live bands. Humboldt Park, IL. 773-907-8602.
- Vintage Days – 8/19-20. Celebration of all things vintage with makers/collectors offering their wares. Bluegrass music, cold beer, retro family activities. 10 AM-6 PM. Long Grove, IL. longgrove.com.
- Farm to Fork Fest – 8/23. Adults-only celebration of fresh, seasonal, regional foods prepared by top chefs. Heritage Farm, Schaumburg. Tickets: 847-985-2115.
- Will County Fair – 8/23-27. Demolition derby, rodeo, beer tent, carnival, livestock exhibits, entertainment. Will County fairgrounds, Peotone. 708-258-9359.
- Little Italy Fest West – 8/24-27. Italian food specialties and performers. Addison. 630-962-7000.
- DeKalb Corn Fest – 8/25-27. Auto fest, corn boil, kid fest, bags tournament, live music. DeKalb 815-748-CORN.
- Naperville Wine Festival – 8/25-26. Wine seminars, chef demonstrations, wine sampling, entertainment, food. Naperville. 888-695-0888.
- Downtown Street Fest – 8/25-27. Live music, local food vendors, kids’ activities. Palatine. palatinestreetfest.com.
- Taste of Highland Park – 8/25-27. Food and beverages from local eateries, live entertainment and professional artwork. Highland Park. 847-926-4300.
- Zoo Brew – 8/26-27. Beer tasting event with over 80 beers and live music. Brookfield Zoo. 708-688-8000.
- Glen Ellyn Festival of the Arts – 8/26-27. Juried fine arts show. Live music. Glen Ellyn. 630-272-6627.
- Port Clinton Art Festival – 8/29-30. Showcase of more than 260 artists’ work. Highland Park. portclintonartfestival.com.
- Buffalo Grove Days – 8/31-9/4. Carnival, bingo, parade, bags tournament, disc golf tournament, entertainment. Buffalo Grove. 847-459-2500.
SAVE THE DATE
Naperville Jaycees Last Fling
Sept. 1 – 4
Nationally Recognized Bands,
Family fun Land, Carnival,
Parade and more!
Fall Fest Des Plaines
Sept. 15th (6-11pm), 16th (noon-11pm) & 17th (noon-7pm)
A Three-Day Family-Friendly Festival!
Great bands, carnival rides, food, fun family activities.
Lake Park, 2200 Lee St., Des Plaines