Things To Do
It’s all here for the family and you: Pumpkin Farms, Corn Mazes, Octoberfest, Fall Festisvals, Apple Picking, Concerts, Tastings. Fall is a wonderful time in the Chicago suburbs. Take the family out…and enjoy!
- Kuipers Pumpkin Farm Festival – Open through 10/31. Hay rides, autumn treats, pig races, Big Rig Pumpkin. Maple Park. 815-827-5200. LEARN MORE
- Buffalo Grove Days – 8/30-9/4. Parade, car show, BBQ challenge, arts and crafts, business fair. Buffalo Grove. 847-459-2500.
- African Festival of the Arts – 9/1-4. Simulated African village with drumming, collectible artifacts, textiles, food, film. Washington Park, Chicago. 773-955-2787.
- Harvard Balloon Fest – 9/1-3. 20+ hot air balloons making morning/evening ascensions. 5K, two music stages, balloon glows, movies in the park, photo contests. Harvardballoonfest.com. 815-893-6280.
- Hometown Days Festival – 9/1-3. Carnival, baby contest, food, music, air dogs competition, craft show. Yorkville. 630-553-4357.
- Summer Sunset Festival – 9/1-3. Bags tournament, carnival, parade, food, wine tasting, and fireworks. Lake in the Hills. Summersunsetfest.com. 815-893-6280.
- Naperville Jaycees Last Fling – 9/1-4. Music, food, carnival, parade. Downtown Naperville. 630-961-4143. www.Lastfling.org LEARN MORE
- Taste of Melrose Park – 9/1-3. Carnival, entertainment, food. Melrose Park. 708-343-4000.
- Taste of Polonia Festival – 9/1-4. Live music, food, casino, kids activities, carnival. Copernicus Center, Chicago. copernicuscenter.org.
- Frankfort Fall Festival – 9/2-4. Parade, arts and crafts, entertainment, carnival, food. Frankfort. 815-469-3356.
- Irish Days – 9/2-4. Irish dance performances, food, music, dog beauty contest, bag pipers, folk bands, children’s activities. Long Grove. 847-634-0888.
- Jubilee Days – 9/2-4. Beauty pageant, ice cream social, concerts, parade, food, fireworks. Zion. 847-746-4000.
- Lemont Heritage Fest – 9/2. Parade, entertainment, kids activities, food. 3-11PM. Historic downtown Lemont. 630-257-1550.
- Richardson Adventure Farm and Corn Maze – 9/2-10/29. All ages attractions including corn bin, pedal trikes, goat walk, giant slides, ORBiting, campfires, food, corn maze. Spring Grove. 815-675-9729.
- Septemberfest – 9/2-4. Live music, food, carnival, arts and crafts, juried art show, parade, fireworks. Robert Atcher Municipal Center Grounds, Schaumburg. 847-895-4500.
- Taste of Serbia – 9/2-3. Music, cultural events and dance, raffles. St. Basil Serbian Orthodox Church. 12-11 PM. Lake Forest – Mettawa, IL. 847-247-0077.
- Wauconda Street Dance – 9/2. Live music on multiple stages, kids stage, food, drink and dancing. Wauconda. 4 – 11 PM. 847-526-5580.
- Fox Valley Folk Music and Storytelling Festival – 9/3-4. Eight stages with bands, musicians, dancing, storytelling, kid’s activities. Geneva. 630-897-0061.
- Sandwich Fair – 9/6-10. Carnival rides, food, exhibitors, entertainment. Sandwich Fairgrounds. 815-786-2159.
- St. Charles Jazz Weekend – 9/7-10. Live jazz music with performances in multiple downtown venues. 630-443-3967.
- Weed Ladies Fall Floral Design Sale – 9/7-10. Hand-made seasonal floral arrangements and dried bouquets. Thu-Sat 10 AM-4PM; Sun 1-4 PM. Naper Settlement. 630-305-5289.
- Darienfest – 9/8-10. Pet parade, carnival, music. Darien Community Park. 630-968-0004.
- Festival of the Vine – 9/8-10. Wine tastings, flower market, arts and crafts show, live music, food, family activities. Geneva. 630-232-6060.
- Oktoberfest – 9/8-10. German food, music, yodeling, Bavarian pie eating contest, booths, carnival, beer tent, bingo,. Villa Park. 630-834-8500.
- Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival – 9/8-10. Sheep and fleece shows, demonstrations, classes, and lamb dinner. Jefferson, WI. 608-868-2505.
- Rock the Block – 9/9. Traditional street bands, food and children’s activities. 5-11 PM. Downtown Lake Zurich. 847-438-5141.
- Taste of Lemont – 9/9, 5-11 PM. 8 PM concert featuring Mike & Joe. Downtown Lemont.
- Deer Park Art Show – 9/9-10. Juried fine art, crafts, live music, food, children’s art area. Deer Park. 847-926-4300.
- Fine Arts Festival – 9/9-10. 50 Artists line Main Street with a variety of mediums and price points. Live music, children’s art area. 10 AM-5 PM. Downers Grove. 630-725-0991.
- Homer Harvest Days – 9/9-10. Food, live music, old-fashioned games and entertainment, children’s activities. Homer Glen. 708-301-0522.
- Randhurst Street Fest – 9/9. Classic car showcase, bands, dancers, food tastings, local merchants. Mount Prospect. 312-415-2485.
- Septemberfest – 9/9. Parade, live music, car show, food and craft vendors. 11-AM-11PM. Bloomingdale. 630-893-7000.
- Shades of Autumn Festival – 9/9-10/29. Pumpkins, farmer’s market, hayride, petting zoo, live music, food. McHenry. 815-893-6280.
- TheosoFest Mind, Body Spirit Festival – 9/9. Featuring vegetarian food, holistic vendors, Kid’s Korner. Theosophical Society, Wheaton. 630-668-1571.
- West End Arts Festival – 9/9-10. Juried art show, live performance art, and art auction. LaGrange. 708-582-6510.
- CS Barks Dog Festival – 9/10. Hours of four-legged fun including dog performances, demos, contests. 10 AM-3PM. Carol Stream. 630-784-6100.
- Misericordia Family Fest – 9/10. Live entertainment, children’s games, raffles, food. Benefits Misericordia. 11 AM-6 PM. Chicago. 773-973-6300.
Scandinavian Day Festival – Sun. 9/10, 10 am to 6 pm. Traditional Food, Crafts, Games,Gifts & Entertainment. Celebrating 5 Nordic Cultures. Vasa Park, 35W217 Route 31, South Elgin. FREE PARKING. Adults $10 / Children 12 & Under FREE. 847-695-6720. www.scandinaviandayil.com for more info.
- Bengston’s Pumpkin Farm and Fall Fest – 9/15-10/30. Petting zoo, haunted barn, pig races. Homer Glen. 708-301-3276.
- Berwyn Oktoberfest – 9/15-16. Live music, food, carnival family entertainment. Depot District, Berwyn. 708-788-8100.
Oktoberfest – Sept. 15 – 25. Authentic German Food, & Bier, Live Bands, Dancing, and lots of fun for the whole family. Win a trip to Germany! Camera Park, Glendale Heights. 323-5-PRETZEL. www.GlendaleHeightsOktoberfest.com for more info. LEARN MORE
- Palatine Oktoberfest – 9/15-17. German music, food and beverages. Downtown Palatine. email@example.com.
- West Dundee Heritage Fest – 9/15-17. Art and antique shows, fireworks, auto show, bag-go tournament, parade, children’s activities. 847-551-3800.
- Johansen Farms Children’s Zoo and Fall Festival – Opens 9/15. Farm zoo, pony rides, hay rides, pumpkin patch. Bolingbrook. 630-759-8711.
Fall Fest Des Plaines – Sept. 15th (6-11pm), 16th (noon-11pm) & 17th (noon-7pm). A Three-Day Family-Friendly Festival! Great bands, carnival rides, food, fun family activities. FREE Admission. Lake Park, 2200 Lee St., Des Plaines. www.FallFestDesPlaines.com for more info. LEARN MORE
- Annual Native American Pow Wow – 9/16. Dancing and drumming, cultural demos, children’s games and crafts, special presentations. Presented by Midwest SOARRING Foundation. Naper Settlement, Naperville. 708-257-4300.
- Depot Days – 9/16-17 – Pioneer demonstrations, games, pie eating contest, model train display, hayride, craft fair. 12-5 PM. Lisle. 630-958-0499.
- Elmhurst Craft Beer Fest – 9/16. Sample from 30 breweries, ice cream, raffle. Benefits Elmhurst Heritage Foundation. 1-5 PM. Elmhurst. elmhurstcraftbeerfest.com.
- Norge Autumn Ski Jump Festival – 9/16-17. Ski jump competitionon hi-tech plastic hill instead of snow. Fox River Grove. norgeskiclub.com. 815-893-6280.
- Riverwalk Fine Art Fair – 9/16-17. Outdoor juried art exhibition and sale along the DuPage River. 10 AM-5PM. Naperville. 630-355-2530.
- Sam Adams Taco Fest – 9/16-17. Mexican wrestling, taco vendors and music. 11 AM-10 PM. Lakeview neighborhood, Chicago 773-472-7171.
Taste of Egypt Festival – Sept. 16 & 17. Egyptian food, camel rides, petting zoo, jewelry, games, kids’ corner. St. Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Church of Chicago, Burr Ridge. TasteOfEgyptFestival.com for more info.
- Vintage Illinois Wine Festival – 9/16-17. 29 wineries, plus music and food. Matthiessen State Park, North Utica. 217-726-8518.
- Dog-tober Fest – 9/17. Wiener dog race, doggie playland, rescue/shelter groups, raffles, games, doggie photo booth, pet blessing. 12-4 PM. 847-669-2880.
- Fallapalooza – 9/17. Music, petting zoo, hayrides, inflatables, live music. Heritage Park Performance Pavilion, Wheeling. 1-4 PM. 847-465-3333.
- HarvestFest – 9/17. Bluegrass bands, fiddle contest, craft show. Woodstock. 10-AM-5PM. offsquaremusic. org. 815-334-9770.
- Pets-A-Palooza – 9/17. Pet-themed contests, demos, pet parade. 11 AM-4PM. Mooseheart. 847-697-2880.
- Shermerfest – 9/17. Music, food, performances, games. 12-4 PM. 847-498-3404.
- Soul Love Fest – 9/17-18. Yoga master classes, workshops, outdoor activities and vendors. All ages. Oswego. 630-235-7065.
- World War II Days – 9/20-24. More than 1,200 re-enactors engage in elaborate battles, skirmishes in the woods, demos, displays and encampments. Rockford. 815-397-9112.
- Fall Fest – 9/21-24. Entertainment, carnival, tethered balloon rides, fireworks, petting zoo, and kids’ events. Huntley. HuntleyFallFest.com.
- Apple Fest – 9/22-24. Bushels of apple inspired treats, pie-eating contest, live music. Long Grove. 847-634-0888.
Warrens Cranberry Festival – Sept. 22-24. Arts and crafts booths, food booths, tour of cranberry marsh. Warrens, WI. 608-378-4200. www.cranfest.com for more info.
- Elim Dutch Fest – 9/23. Pancake breakfast, Dutch Village shops, Dutch treats, parade, petting zoo and wooden shoe dancing. 708-389-0555.
- Fall Harvest and Art Festival – 9/23. Vineyard tours, live music, art show and more. 12-6 PM. Galena. 815-777-3235.
- Goebbert’s Fall Festival – 9/23-10/31. Pumpkin eating dinosaur, games, animals. South Barrington. 847-428-6727.
- Hands On Arts Festival – 9/23. Visual/performing arts, literature, film and local merchants selling goods, books, and crafts plus wine and beer. Live performances. 12-6 PM. Fischer Farm, Bensenville. 630-834-3152.
Little Sikhs Festival – Sept. 23. 2-5 PM. Games, face painting, music, kids fashion show, food, prizes. Bartlett Nature Center. www.littlesikhsfestival.com for more information.
- Vernon Hills Oktoberfest – 9/23. Kids crafts, pumpkin painting, food, domestic beer and live music. Vernon Hills. 847-367-3700.
- Pumpkin Daze at Abbey Farms – 9/23. Corn mazes, tractor tire mountain, petting zoo, pumpkin patch, Pine Tree Café, themed weekends. Aurora. 630-966-7775.
- Pumpkin Fest – 9/23-10/31. Hayrack rides, u-pick pumpkin field, corn maze, attractions. Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm, Lockport. 800-304-FARM.
- Autumn Pioneer Festival – 9/23-24. Crafts, historical lifestyles, food, skills of pioneers and Native Americans in the 1800’s. Belvidere. 815-547-7935.
- Passport Europe Festival – 9/23-24. Cultural festival featuring authentic music, culture, dance and cuisine in beautiful outside venue. Morton Arboretum. 630-968-0074.
- Didier Farms Pumpkin Fest – 9/23-10/31. Hayrides, corn maze, farm stand, pig races, Mobile Room Escape, Silly String Asylum. Lincolnshire. 847-634-3291.
- Odyssey Fun Farm – 9/24-10/30. Dueling zip lines, zombie safari hay ride, corn maze, petting zoo. Tinley Park. 708-429-3800. LEARN MORE
- Primrose Farm Frolic – 9/24. Corn cannons, old fashioned games, farming demos, hayrides, food. 11AM-3 PM. St. Charles. 630-513-4370.
- Oktoberfest – 9/29-30. Live music, German food and drink. Heritage Park Performance Pavilion, Wheeling. Fri 7-10 PM, Sat. 3-8 PM. 847-465-3333.
- Fall Style Weekend – 9/29-30. Celebrate style with fashion show, food, special sales. Downtown Naperville. 630-544-3372. LEARN MORE
- Lincoln Park Zoo – 9/29-10/29. Fall Fest weekends provide harvest fun in the heart of the city. Chicago. 312-742-2000.
- Oktoberfest – 9/29-30. Traditional German food, beer, music. Elk Grove Village. 847-439-3900.
Downers Grove Harvest Fest – Sat. Sept. 30, 10 am – 7 pm. DG 5&8 Miler 8:30 am. Live entertainment, children’s area, food, drinks, games. Fishel Park, Downers Grove. www.dgparks.org for more info.
- Galena Oktoberfest – 9/30. Children’s activities, non-stop live music, polka dancing and more. 815-331-0180.
- Johnny Appleseed Festival – 9/30. Pumpkin bowling, pie baking and eating contests, crafters, wagon rides, scarecrow contest. 9 AM-4 PM. Crystal Lake. Downtowncl.org. 815-479-0835.
- Plow Day and Tractor Show – 9/30. Antique tractor, corn mazes, plowing demos, tractor parade. Hebron. Von Bergen’s Country Market. Vonbergens.com. 815-893-6280.
- Scarecrow Festival – 9/30. Illinois’ biggest “toddler friendly” festival. Giant bouncy houses, petting zoo, vendors, food. Ottawa. 815-434-4071.
- Wine and Brew Dash – 9/30. Race the 9 holes of Boughton Ridge, followed by German food and music. Bolingbrook. 630-739-0272.
- Apple Fest – 9/30-10/1. Enjoy all things apple from good to games with entertainment and kids activities. 9 AM-6 PM. Lincoln Square Ravenswood. 773-728-3890.
- Blackberry Farm Pumpkin Weekends – 9/30-10/29. Enjoy all of the attractions of the farm plus Fall-inspired fun. Aurora. 630-892-1550.
- Cody’s Farm and Orchard Pumpkin Festival – 9/30-10/29. Giant pumpkin patch, corn maze, corn tunnel, rubber duck races, autumn treats. Marengo. 815-893-6280.
- Harvest of the Acorn Moon Festival – 10/1. Pumpkin painting, games, guided hikes, nature crafts. Aurora. 630-444-3190.
- Cider Festival – 10/1. Live music, cider-making demo, blacksmithing, broom making, barn raising, Civil War reenactments, antique clothing sale, museum, goodies bakery. Union. Mchenryhistory.org. 815-893-6280.
- Harvest Days at Garfield Farm – 10/1. See demos of farm and household skills, 19th century music and food from the 1800s. Campton Hills (5 miles west of Geneva). 630-584-8485.
- Last Straw Fall Event – 10/1. Beekeeper, panning for gold, rope and scarecrow making, bake sale, pumpkin decorating. 12-4 PM. Gregg House Museum, Westmont. 630-969-8080.
- Pumpkin Fest – 10/1-31. Farm animals, straw pyramid, cornstalk tunnel, fall treats. Cosley Zoo, Wheaton. 630-665-5534.
- Santa’s Village Harvest Fest – Weekends in October. East Dundee. 847-426-6751.
- Sonny Acres Farm and Fall Festival – Throughout October. Pumpkin patch, rides, Spook Shed, gift shop, food. West Chicago. 630-231-3859.
Houby Fest – Oct. 5-8. Carnival, Float filled parade, live music, food, crafts and more. Rich cultural tradition. Cicero, IL. 708-656-3600. www.thetownofcicero.com for more info. LEARN MORE
- Deerfield Harvest Festival – 10/5-8. Chidlren’s activities, entertainment, games, fireworks. Deerfield. dthf.org.
- Autumn On The Fox Art and Craft Show – 10/6-8. 170 Artisans displaying jewelry, metal art, stained glass. St. Charles. 630-387-1151.
- Fall Bulb Festival – 10/6-8. Shop from varieties of bulbs plus harvest market, live music, cider, wine, beer and fall treats for purchase. Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe. 847-835-5440.
Scarecrow Fest – Fri. & Sat. 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Scarecrow contest, Greater St. Charles Farm Tour, “All Wheels In” Bike Rides, Games, Carnival & Craft Show. St. Charles, IL 800-777-4373. www.ScarecrowFest.com for more info. LEARN MORE
- Oktoberfest – 10/6-8. Live music and authentic German cuisine. Naper Settlement, Naperville. 630-420-6010. LEARN MORE
- Group Hayrides – 10/6-28. Fri-Sun. Group rental includes hot chocolate and apple cider, 20 min. hayride and a bonfire. Naperville Park District. 630-848-5000.
- An Apple Afternoon – 10/7. Lend a hand harvesting the fruit orchard, make apple sauce and apple butter. 1-4 PM. St. Charles. 630-513-4370.
- Autumn Colors Craft Show – 10/7. 100 booths of handcrafts, jewelry, candles, pancake breakfast, bake sale and concessions. Romeoville 815-886-6222.
- Flavors of Fall Taste Fest – 10/7. Samples of food and beverages from downtown establishments, vote for favorite window decorations. Discounts for downtown shops. Mchenrycountryliving.com. 815-893-6280.
- Scarecrow Festival – 10/7. Create your own scarecrow, square dancing, harvest crafts, hayrides and cooking demos. Midway Village Museum, Rockford. 815-397-9112.
- Danada Fall Festival – 10/8. Equestrian performances, activities, food, music. Danada Equestrian Center, Wheaton. 630-668-6012.
- Epic FallFest – 10/8. Pumpkin painting, sidewalk sale, hayrides, games, firepit with s’mores, off-snow demos, bounce houses. Wilmot Mountain, WI. Wilmotmountain.com.
- Fall on the Farm – 10/7-8. Tent sale, food, beverage, tractors to touch, Farmyard, barrel train rides, pumpkin painting, sand art, face painting, decorate a cookie. Lambs Farm, Libertyville. 847-362-4636.
- Glass Pumpkin Patch – 10/11-15. Annual exhibit of blown glass artwork with demos and sales. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. 630-968-0074.
- Pumpkin Patch Festival – 10/13-14 and 10/20-22. Pumpkin patch, hay maze, carnival, magic show, scavenger hunt, kids haunted house, face painting. Summit Park, Summit. Pumpkinpatchfestival.com.
- Fall Festival/Oktoberfest – 10/13-14. Pumpkin decorating, hayrides, music, Authentic German food and beer. Mount Prospect. 847-506-4948.
- Fall Festival – 10/14. Fall craft show, music, hayrides, hot cider and hot chocolate, sweet treats. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. 630-668-5161.
- Spooktacular Fall Festival – 10/14. Take part in trick-or-treating, arts & crafts, games, costume contests and live entertainment. 11 AM-10 PM. Lombard. lombardtowncentre.org. 630-620-8063
- Fox Valley Antiques Show and Sale – 10/14-15. 55 dealers from 15 states. Kane Country Fairgrounds, St. Charles. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Pumpkin Trolley – 10/15-15 and 10/21-22. Pick up a pumpkin at the patch and enjoy a treat. Fox River Trolley Museum, South Elgin, 847-697-4676.
- Autumn Drive, Woodstock to Marengo – 10/20-22. Progressive festival with barnyards, farmhouse doors and studios open to the public. Pick up fall produce, apples, pumpkins and baked goods, crafts, pottery, jewelry, lawn ornaments. Garage and antique sales. Autumndrive.net. 815-893-6280.
- Autumn Craft and Vendor Show – 10/21. Area showcase works, bake sale, raffles. Batavia High School, Batavia. 630-748-1501.
- Fall Colors Weekend – 10/21-22. View spectacular fall colors with guided hikes. Starved Rock State Park, Utica. 800-667-42111.