Things To Do
Halloween may be rooted in the scary, but these days, it offers something for everyone. Read our picks for the best Halloween events happening in and around the Chicago suburbs.
- 13th Floor Haunted House – 9/22-11/4. One of the largest haunted house brands brings two new attractions this year in one location for one price: Cursed: Purgatory and Dead End District: Freakshow. Melrose Park. Ages 12 and up. 13thfloorchicago.com.
- Ghost Stories in the Park…After Dark – An evening of scary stories to send shivers up your spine. Outdoor event, dress warmly. Fri., Sat., Sun 10/6,7,8. 7-8 PM. Riverwalk Grand Pavillion, Naperville. Register napervilleparks.org.
- Morton Arboretum Theatre Hikes – Walk along with the action of your favorite literary tales performed live. In October, celebrate the spooky season with “Nightfall With Edgar Allan Poe.” 10/7-8, 14-15, 22,28,29. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org.
- Tricks or Trees – 10/9. Play tricky games, fashion fall crafts and plant a tree seed to take home as your treat. Small pumpkins to paint available for purchase. Costumes encourages. Weekends in October and 11AM-4PM. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org.
- Day of the Dead Activity – 10/9. Create papel picado/paper banners and flores de papel/paper flowers to decorate ofrendas/altars for the upcoming Day of the Dead celebration. 1-2 PM. Ages 5-12. Des Plaines History Center. 847-391-5399.
- Creepy Critters Day – 10/9. Dig for worms, touch a snake, observe spiders. Drop-in 10 AM-2 PM. Knoch Knolls Nature Center, Naperville. napervilleparks.org.
- Glass Pumpkin Patch – 10/11-15. Features demos of the country’s top glassblowers and unique, handcrafted designs available for purchase. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org.
- Witches Night Out – 10/12. A night of friendship, food, raffles and fun activities for women. Benefits Families Helping Families Agency. 5-9:30 PM. Naper Settlement, Naperville. witchesnightoutnaperville.org.
- Boo Bash – 10/14. Enjoy the Trick-or-Treat Trail with your favorite cartoon characters, Glen Ellyn Public Library storytelling, apple cider, and Halloween treats. Bobby “Circus Boy” Hunt will be performing an action-packed comedy show. Ages 2-8. 10:30-11:30 AM. 630-858-2462.
- Gone Squatchin’ – 10/14. He lives, he breathes. Search for the sasquatch and enjoy prairie maze, campfire, games and storytelling. 5:30-7PM. Hickory Knolls Discovery Center, St. Charles. stcnature.org 630-513-6200. LEARN MORE
- Oak Brook Park District Haunted Forest – 10/14-15 (with less scary preview 10/13). Spooky 13,000 square foot maze will have several new festive features. Pumpkin patch, face painting, fireside storytelling, and tractor pulled hayrides, plus concessions. Friday and Saturday, 6:30-9:30 PM, Thursday 4-6 PM. Pathways of Central Park, Oak Brook Park District. 630-990-4233.
- The Great Scarecrow Search – 10/21 and 10/22. Guided scavenger hunt to follow the clues along a nature trail with prizes. Hickory Knolls Discovery Center, St. Charles, IL 60175. 630-513-4399. stcnature.org LEARN MORE
- Haunted Hole-O-Ween at Mount View Adventure Center – 10/20-22 and 10/27-29. Ghosts and ghouls of the mining town come out to haunt those who play mini-golf. Des Plaines. 847-391-5730. WEBSITE
- Hole-O-Ween at Links and Tees – 10/20-22. Mini Golf for children under 12. Free admission for costumed kids with paying “costumer.” 11 AM-9 PM. Putter’s Peak Mini Golf, Addison. 630-233-7275.
- Haunted Halloween Flea Market – 10/21. Great family fun with live music, costume ball, haunted hayride and ghoulish encounters. 3 PM – midnight. DuPage County Fairgrounds. Zurkopromotions.
- Murder Mystery Dinner-Theater – 10/27. Enjoy a memorable Halloween festivity enjoying cocktails, a delicious meal and solving a good mystery in an unforgettable, historic setting. Must be 21 to register. Robert R. McCormick House, Cantigny Park, Wheaton. www.cantigny.org. Fee. Register by October 16 via the website or 630.260.8162.
- Candy Carnival – 10/27. Play games to win candy! Boo buckets, bat bean bag toss, ghoulish putting green, candy walk, pumpkin sack races, howlin’ hula hoops, costume contest. 5:30-7 PM. Centennial Rec Center, Addison. 630-233-7275.
- Haunted Halloween Ball – 10/28-30. The Nightmare at Navy Pier in the Grand Ballroom promises music and refreshments for a spectacular Halloween celebration. 8 PM – 2 AM. Navy Pier, Chicago. navypier.com.
- Monster Mash Bash – 10/28. Halloween party packed with entertainment, face painting to match costumes, bounce houses, obstacle course, full goody bags. Oswego. 630-554-1010.
- BOO Breakfast – 10/29. Features demos of the country’s top glassblowers and unique, handcrafted designs available for purchase. 10/11-15. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org.
- Day of the Dead Celebration – 10/28. Third Annual Dia de los Muertos altar completion. Children will paint sugar skulls, view, ofrendas/altars and have their faces strikingly painted. 11AM-4 PM. Des Plaines History Center. 847-391-5399.
- Spirit of Chicago Haunted Ghost Ship Cruise – 10/29-30. A haunted evening of music, madness and memories surrounding a ghostly ship’s captain. 11:5-PM-2 AM. Navy Pier, Chicago. navypier.com.
- Boo Bash – 10/30. Children are invited to wear their Halloween costumes to this fun hour of not-too-spooky activities and stories, ending with a yummy treat! For ages 3 to 5 with adult. 10-11 AM. Cantigny Park, Education Center, Wheaton. www. Register www.cantigny.org or 630.260.8162.