Party Planning Basics…and Places
Planning a kids party is an exciting time. Taking a planned approach described below will help provide and memorial event that is stress free.
Kid’s Party Planning Basics…and Places
- Start at the beginning…with the invitation list. Then, determine how large a venue you will need, what kind of theme or activities you want to do.
- For young children, parents traditionally invite the entire class – in fact that’s a strict rule in some schools. If you’re looking for a firm number, iPlay America suggests following the “age plus one” rule, meaning “if your child is turning 7, you invite eight kids.”
- Get creative. Regardless of your theme, there are lots of places to go for inspiration including the superb party venues in this section. See below for some excellent venue recommendations.
- The most common party mistake is trying to pack too much in, which can lead to over-stimulated and cranky guests, especially the younger ones. Keep it simple.
- Ask a friend to take the pictures for you so you can enjoy the party in real time.
- When booking a party venue, it’s important to go over all of the details so there are no surprises. Most venues offer special birthday packages including food and cake. When dealing with allergies and dietary restrictions, you many want to check if the venue is 100% nut-free, and also gluten-free. Facilities are often able to accommodate the guests’ needs, as long as they’re informed in advance. Don’t order too much food. There are always tons of leftovers at kids’ parties.
- Go with non-traditional party favors. Cheap plastic throw-away items are totally out. Instead, go for one high-quality, useful items or educational items like art kits, puzzles and notepads. Or have the kids make their own favors. Many arts and crafts projects can serve as both an activity and a take-home gift item.
- Don’t open the gifts at the party. Most party places pack the presents away in a giant plastic bag for you to take home. There’s limited time to open gifts during the bash, plus you risk your child’s honest and potentially negative reaction to some items.
- Send thank-you notes. Most guests appreciate a good old-fashioned physical thank-you card—particularly one written or ‘scribbled’ by the birthday child.
- Relax—it’s a party. Although it should be obvious, when you’re in the thick of it, it’s hard to remember that parents are supposed to be having fun, too. If you go with a party venue, you’re in expert hands. They know the drill so let the staff do the work and enjoy.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Main Event Entertainment Is the most FUN you can have under one roof! Enjoy multi-level laser tag, fun-filled bowling and an arcade gallery with 100+ arcade games! We are your event destination with packages for team building, corporate events and stress-free birthday parties. For more information, visit www.mainevent.com.
Oak Brook Park District
Plan a birthday party at the Oak Brook Park District Family Aquatic Center and it’s sure to be a big splash! Splash and Super Splash Parties are available all year long. Each party is scheduled for two hours of fun and excitement and includes admission, food; beverages; designated party area; paper products; party hostess; and certified life guards. You bring the cake and we’ll provide the fun! Party guests (and party parents) will love Oak Brook Park District’s Inclusive Family Locker Room! This innovative feature makes it easier for families to enjoy all the benefits of Oak Brook Park District’s nationally recognized and award-winning facilities. Visit www.obparks.org for more info.
Cantigny Weddings: Inspired by Nature
Wedding memories you’ll cherish forever begin at Cantigny Park and Cantigny Golf in Wheaton, the beautiful 500-acre former estate of Colonel Robert R. McCormick. Choose from several beautiful garden settings for ceremonies including the new-for-2019 Rose Garden Gazebo. Select from three elegant reception venues, too! Incentives are available as we complete our 2019 booking calendar. Contact our on-staff professional planners at email@example.com or call 630-260-8145. Details at Cantigny.org.
Rock ‘n’ Kids
Calling all toddlers to sing, dance and play the Rock ‘n’ Kids way! Tot Rock and Kid Rock are structured music and movement programs for children ages 1-5 that use a unique approach to music education! Since 1995, Rock ‘n’ Kids has been educating young children through imaginative play, sensory integration, fine and gross motor skills, and socialization. A variety of rhythm instruments and movement props are utilized and a new educational theme is implemented each session! Classes offered at park districts in the Chicago-land area. Mobile music and dance parties also available! 847-961-6584. www.rockitkids.com.
Let Your Adventure Begin!
Safari Land has everything you need for a complete adventure. Whether it’s bowling, video games, rollercoaster, kiddie carts, food or other fun, Safari Land is the place for your party. Come ride the tiger terror…take a spin in our 360 degree, full-motion, 3D flight simulator,…play in our soft play area, or throw some strikes during cosmic bowling. Contact us today for additional event information and to book your next adventure of a lifetime. 701 W. North Avenue, Villa Park. 630-530-4649. Visit www.safarilandfun.com.
Funtopia Adventure Parks
Funtopia Adventure Parks in two awesome locations: Glenview and Naperville host Fun and Active birthday parties and group events. With so many adventurous activities, we guarantee you will have a blast! Glenview: 224-432-5435. www.funtopiaworld.com/glenview AND Naperville: 630-718-4327. www.funtopiaworld.com/naperville.
Plainfield Park District
Celebrate the opening of Prairie Activity & Recreation Center (PARC) February 2 with a Free Family Open House event from 9a-1p! For more information, call (815) 436-8812, visit plfdparks.org or follow us on social media for details about fitness memberships, events and classes. PARC is located at 24550 W. Renwick Rd., Plainfield.