Things To Do
Spring is a beautiful and busy time of year. As soon as the first daffodil starts poking through, we can’t wait to get outside. You will discover many seasonal activities to enjoy in this issue!
Ottawa, The Middle of Everywhere
Come dip your toes where the Fox meets the Illinois, and lose yourself in a cave of salt. Take the paths of Presidents or blaze the trail with buffalo. Savor worldly cuisine or sample the local roots. Whether you’re traveling cross country to visit family or just a few miles to see an old friend, you will always arrive in the middle of everywhere. Find your new destination here: Ottawa Visitors Center. www.pickusottawail.com. 815-434-2737
- UPDATE: As of March 16th, 2020, both Lincoln, The Great Communicator and the Freedom Project in Ottawa are postponed until further notice.
Colorful Cantigny Park
Spring at Cantigny in Wheaton is a favorite time, when the beautiful gardens come to life. We hope to reopen them soon for all to enjoy, along with McCormick House and the First Division Museum. We also look forward to resuming regular programming at the park and golf course. Please visit Cantigny.org before planning your visit. Cantigny’s gardens, museums and most special events are free admission and parking is only $5. Text PARK to 36000 to receive updates and offers.
- UPDATE: Please visit Cantigny.org before planning your visit.
The Forge: Lemont Quarries
The Forge: Lemont Quarries is a one-of-a-kind outdoor adventure park built on 300 acres of historic land in Lemont, IL. From ropes course, ziplines, and climbing walls, to mountain biking, walking trails, and a designated kids activity zone, Lemont Quarries has something to exhilarate, educate, and entertain adventurers of all ages and abilities. Lemont Quarries is located at 14657 Main Street, Lemont, IL 60439. To learn more, visit us at www.forgeparks.com.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit www.mpks.org for more information.
- UPDATE: The MPKS March Meeting on March 20th is cancelled. Please check the www.mpks.org for future meetings.
Enjoy springtime in downtown Aurora. Visit family-friendly museums, stop by local coffee shops, and enjoy free events. Egg Hunt on the Island is a downtown-wide egg hunt from 1 to 3 p.m. on April 4. Experience art, music, and more at monthly First Fridays events with more than two dozen venues open plus free trolley rides. May 1 is the annual Food Truck Festival. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org.
- UPDATE: Experience art, music, and more at a VIRTUAL First Fridays on April 3. We are postponing any spring events as we get ready for a summer of fun. Look forward to free summer concerts and more. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org
Arlington Ridge Center ~ Memberships Available Now!|
Arlington Ridge Center…A Facility of Arlington Heights Park District. As Little As $61/month (Based on N/R Individual Rate) Elevate Your Game! Memberships Available Now! Join before February 1 and save 20%.Unleash the power of your fitness goals. Tap into the benefits of wellness. Perhaps you just want to meet new friend or socialize with your current ones. No matter what your goals, Arlington Ridge Center will help you reach them in a fun, friendly environment. 600 N Ridge Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL. To learn more visit … https://www.ahpd.org/facilities/arlington-ridge-center/
- UPDATE: As of March 14, 2020 and until further notice, the Arlington Heights Park District’s Arlington Ridge Center fitness center, and walking track will be restricted to Members 18 and older; Pools are closed; No group exercise classes; No open gym available. All existing memberships will be extended accordingly. Stay informed at www.ahpd.org.
Odyssey Fun World
The place for out of this world family fun for all ages! Plan your next birthday party here. Boasting 150+ arcade and redemption games, a 4-story soft play center, Laser Tag, exciting indoor rides, and great food! All summer long we offer Go Karts, Mini Golf, Bumper Boats, a ZIPLINE (30 feet high!), and an Inflatable Kidz Park! Visit odysseyfunworld.com for exclusive discounts, or call 708-429-3800. 19111 S. Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park.
- UPDATE: In accordance with Governor Pritzer’s mandate. We will be closed from 3/17 – 4/30. We will re-open on 5/1. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. The office will be open for booking, cancelations and questions M-F 8a – 4p. . -OFW Management 708-429-3800 x127
Whether you’re planning your next date night, work outing or family gathering, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! Choose from a variety of activities including WhirlyBall, LaserTag, HyperBowling and bowling. Enjoy delicious food, craft beer and signature cocktails at The Pivot Room, open for lunch and dinner daily. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800. whirlyball.com.
- UPDATE: TO OUR VALUED GUESTS: Following the guidance of government health officials, we have temporarily closed all WhirlyBall locations to protect the health and well-being of our guests and team members. This is a temporary interruption to our normal business hours and we will re-open as soon as possible.
TransWorld’s Jewelry, Fashion & Accessories Show NEW DATES!
Spring into the NEW Decade brings buying opportunities at the TransWorld’s Jewelry, Fashion & Accessories Show coming to the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL on May 7 to 10 (NEW DATES). Shop for yourself, your family, and friends for Spring into Summer products such as jewelry, fashion, accessories, gift, décor, beauty and gourmet items you can only find at a TransWorld’s JF&A Show. Get FREE gifts just for attending and buying at the show as well! KIDS DAY IS ON SUNDAY, APRIL 26th. Kids aged 9-16 can attend with an accompanying adult. Register kids on-site only and a $5 fee applies. They will receive a FREE gift from us as a thank you for being a future JF&A shopper. For complete details, visit: www.jfashow.com to register.
Safari Land is the ultimate, INDOOR amusement park, plus home of the largest year-round indoor roller coaster in Illinois. Open seven days a week, offering eight amusement rides, over 100 arcade games and 12 lanes of bowling. Ride wristband includes: Tilt-A-Whirl, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Monkey Jump, Soft Play Area, Max Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster & Kiddie Go-Karts. Free parking and a perfect spot for birthday parties! For more information visit www.safarilandfun.com or call 630-530-4649.
- UPDATE: Safari Land is following the State’s recommendation and we are closed through April 30, 2020. Obviously that might be extended due to the Governor’s recommendation.
7th Annual Barrington Family EXPO – THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED
Family Fun, Kids Activities & Entertainment, Senior Resources & Free Screenings. Sunday, April 5, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Barrington High School – Main Gym (Use Hart Road Entrance), 616 W. Main Street, Barrington, IL 60010. FREE Admission and Parking. barringtonchamber.com.
Burpee Museum of Natural History
PaleoFest 2020: Weekend Adventures in a Prehistoric World is a dino-centric event this March 6-8, that provides a fun and educational experience for both adults and children! Scientists arrive from around the world to celebrate all things prehistoric. The museum transforms: special stations showcasing paleo research, family-friendly lectures and workshops, PaleoArt workshops and the world famous research lectures. March 6: FREE student symposium. Saturday & Sunday March 7-8: Full PaleoFest Event. For more information, visit www.burpee.org.
Discover 2020 Insights at the Body Mind Spirit Expo!
Explore natural health, personal growth and receive readings and healings, March 7-8, at the Midwest Conference Center. Offering over 70 included presentations and 115 exhibitors, Body Mind Spirit Expo creates a future focused environment for the exploration of alternative thought. Explore within a positive healing environment. Showcasing the national vendors along with the best from Chicago area the expo provides essential tools for discovering overall health and well being. Retail exhibitors offer everything from natural and holistic health products to spiritual books and enlightened art. Healers at the expo provide treatments ranging from massages and yoga techniques to intuitive readings.
Weekend admission of $14 includes free lectures and demos as well as admission to the Exhibit Hall. Rejuvenate—receive a relaxing massage, have your aura photo taken and open yourself to new ideas. The expo offers a safe environment for growth and exploration, so mark your calendar for the entire weekend! Location: Midwest Conference Center 401 W Lake St Northlake, IL 60164. For more information and a $1 off coupon, call 541-482-3722 or visit www.bmse.net.
Here are a few wonderful stage productions for the whole family!
Drury Lane Theatre
Shrek the Musical. Performances run April 30 – June 13.
For more than 30 years, Drury Lane Theatre for Young Audience has delighted audiences of all ages. The latest production to hit the stage is guaranteed fun for the whole family: Shrek the Musical! Everyone’s favorite ogre finds himself on a life-changing journey alongside wisecracking Donkey and feisty Princess Fiona. Throw in a short-tempered bad guy, a cookie with an attitude, and other fairy tale misfits, and you’ve got the kind of mess that calls for a real hero. Luckily, there’s one on hand… and his name is Shrek! At only 60 minutes with no intermission, kids will be hooked from start to finish, and adults will be laughing along the whole time. Performances run April 30 – June 13. Tickets are on sale now. Call (630) 530-0111 or visit www.DruryLaneTheatre.com.
Meet Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, and the rest of the cast every Saturday at Drury Lane’s Shrek the Musical Character Breakfast! For more information or to reserve a table, call (630) 530-8300 or visit LucilleRestaurant.com. Have a group of 15 or more? Save big when you book through Group Services! Group tickets start at just $15 per person. To start planning, call (630) 570-7272 or email Groups@DruryLane.com.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
The Trip to Bountiful, By Horton Foote. Performances run
March 6 – 28.
Carrie Watts, an elderly woman, finally escapes her cramped apartment and overprotective children to return to her beloved hometown of Bountiful, Texas. But she begins to learn that her cherished town isn’t the same as she remembered it. In April, come join us for The Overshadowed Princess Concert! Enjoy an evening of your favorite princess songs sung by stars of the Overshadowed stage!
April 17 – 18, 2020 | 7:30 PM, 2 PM, 7:30 PM. Performing at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah, Illinois. For tickets call the box office at 630-634-2100 or visit our website at www.overshadowed.org.
- UPDATE: With much sadness, we are postponing our final two weekends of The Trip to Bountiful, as well as our upcoming Princess Concert at this time. While we continue to march on in faith and hope, we must put the health and well-being of our customers, performers, and volunteers first. Once we have determined the future dates of the shows, we will contact each of the ticket holders directly regarding your options. We appreciate your patience while we, along with many others, navigate these uncharted waters.
Arcada Kids Club
The Arcada Kids Club presents TWO family-friendly shows, coming to the Arcada Theatre in St. Charles.
March 11 – Tales of Peter Pan & Cinderella ON ICE, a journey with several of your favorites. April 18, join us for Cinderella, the beloved fairytale/play everyone loves! Tickets are just $12. MARK YOUR CALENDARS!! Ron Onesti’s Wild West Town, a family amusement park and entertainment center, just west of Huntley, is opening for the 2020 on May 16th! www.oshows.com.
- UPDATE: The Arcada Theatre has closed until further notice. We’re not sure when Wild West Town will open. We thank you for supporting us and now it’s our turn to give back to the community that supports us. We will live stream some of your favorite local bands to you each night from 7:30 to 9:00pm direct from the historic Arcada Theatre stage. This live stream is at absolutely no cost to you. It is a token of our appreciation, from us at Onesti Entertainment and the bands themselves. Visit oshows.com for more details.