Throw a Rainbow Party!
Sponsored by WhirlyBall | Odyssey Fun World | Safari Land
Rainbows are a sign that the sunny days of spring are on the way. Their colorful rays bring a smile to our hearts – much like our daughters do. If you are looking for a party theme for your birthday girl, a Rainbow Party is a wonderful way to celebrate. We’ve come up with four craft ideas, four games and menu of colorful foods and drink.
- Make tie-dye shirts – Provide the guests with white t-shirts and rubber bands. You can find a guide to folding and banding the shirts online. Using fabric dye, dip the portions of the shirt in the colors until the whole shirt is covered. Put the wet shirt in a marked plastic bag and send home with instructions for washing out the dye.
- Friendship bracelets – Jewelry making is such a fun project with friends. Why not make friendship bracelets? Older girls might enjoy braiding colorful thread in a camp-style bracelet. Younger girls can use colorful plastic or glass beads and colorful ribbons to string them on. Depending on the age of the guests, you can use candy or cereal in place of beads.
- Sprinkle candy bark – Place melting white chocolate pieces on a thick paper plates. Heat in microwave until it is in a liquid form – 1 minute usually does the trick. Encourage the kids to add cake sprinkles or small candies like Nerds. Use toothpicks to swirl around drops of food coloring. When the girls are done decorating, refrigerate the candy until it is hard.
- Solar rainbow candles – Collect clear jars or purchase from Goodwill. Gather up all your unwrapped, broken crayons and place on the table where the girls will be crafting. Add a candle wick to the middle of the jar (try a glue dot to keep it in place) and stack a rainbow of crayons around the wick. You can add essential oils to give it a nice scent. These candles can be placed in a sunny window to melt a little at a time or can be lit to melt them from the top down.
Colorful games to play:
- Rainbow scavenger hunt – Send the girls to find two items that are each color of the rainbow. This is a great game to play if it is nice enough to get outside as it gives the host time to clean up between crafts.
- Pop balloon game – Place two slips of paper in each balloon – one with a challenge like recite the alphabet backward and the other one with a ticket to receive a prize for completing the challenge. Blow up the balloons and tie one to each girl’s ankle. On go, the girls will gently stomp on the balloons to break them, revealing the challenge. If your balloon is popped, you have to pick up the challenge paper and perform the challenge.
- Fill the Cup – Fill a large bowl with colored loop cereal and place in the center of the table. Players each have five small cups in front of them. Using a regular sized spoon, players need to separate the cereal by color, placing 10 of each color in their cups. Challenge the older girls by making them hold the spoon in their mouths. You can also play this game with teams.
- Fill in the Rainbow – The guests are given a piece of paper with bowed lines marked with the colors of the rainbow – red, orange, yellow, etc. Using a package of rainbow skittles, the players have to sort all the colors in order and place on the lines. First one done is the winner.
Eat the Rainbow:
- Jello – There are so many fun things you can do with colorful gelatin. Try seven layer jello in a cup, stained glass jello, or using cookie cutters in a tray of jello.
- Rainbow Pasta – This is such a fun idea. Cook pasta until al dente. Separate the pasta into bags and add several drops of food coloring. Seal bag and shake. Drain and rinse before serving with warm sauce or butter. You can even use different shapes for each color.
- Fruit pizza- Fruit Pizza is a great way to get the picky girls to try new fruits. Purchase premade sugar cookie dough and spread out on a cookie sheet. Bake per directions. Let cool and spread cream cheese on top. Finish off with a rainbow of berries, melons, grapes, pineapples and kiwi.
- Mini rainbow truffles – Divide prepared vanilla cake mix by six and add food coloring. Pour into cupcake tin and bake as directed. When cooled, crumble the cupcakes and set aside. Add a layer of Cool Whip to a clear glass and then add a layer of crumbed colored cake. Continue to alternate cake and Cool Whip until all colors have been used.
- Rainbow drinks – Fill ice trays with colored Kool Aid and freeze overnight. Pour clear liquid like water or Sprite over colored ice and serve.
The best thing about this party is that the tie dye shirt, the bracelet, the candy bark and the candle are also the goody bag. Add a simple box of crayons and a coloring book from the dollar store and you will have a colorful bag of treats for your guests.
By Pam Molnar
Pam Molnar is a freelance writer and party planner. Follow her on Etsy at Pam’s Party Printables.
From friendly competition and entertainment to exceptional food and drink, WhirlyBall Naperville provides the perfect venue for all ages and occasions. The two-story “eatertainment” complex features a variety of activities including WhirlyBall, LaserTag, HyperBowling and bowling plus private event spaces for groups of any size. Round out your event with customized menus featuring The Pivot Room’s selection of elevated American fare and craft beverages. Book your event today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT. 630-932-4800. whirlyball.com.
- UPDATE: TO OUR VALUED GUESTS: Following the guidance of government health officials, we have temporarily closed all WhirlyBall locations to protect the health and well-being of our guests and team members. This is a temporary interruption to our normal business hours and we will re-open as soon as possible.
Odyssey Fun World
The place for out of this world family fun for all ages! Plan your next birthday party here. Boasting 150+ arcade and redemption games, a 4-story soft play center, Laser Tag, exciting indoor rides, and great food! All summer long we offer Go Karts, Mini Golf, Bumper Boats, a ZIPLINE (30 feet high!), and an Inflatable Kidz Park! Visit odysseyfunworld.com for exclusive discounts, or call 708-429-3800. 19111 S. Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park.
- UPDATE: In accordance with Governor Pritzer’s mandate. We will be closed from 3/17 – 4/30. We will re-open on 5/1. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. The office will be open for booking, cancelations and questions M-F 8a – 4p. . -OFW Management 708-429-3800 x127
Safari Land is the ultimate, INDOOR amusement park, plus home of the largest year-round indoor roller coaster in Illinois. Open seven days a week, offering eight amusement rides, over 100 arcade games and 12 lanes of bowling. Ride wristband includes: Tilt-A-Whirl, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Monkey Jump, Soft Play Area, Max Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster & Kiddie Go-Karts. Free parking and a perfect spot for birthday parties! For more information visit www.safarilandfun.com or call 630-530-4649.
- UPDATE: Safari Land is following the State’s recommendation and we are closed through April 30, 2020. Obviously that might be extended due to the Governor’s recommendation.