Weekend+ for 1/30 to 2/5
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 1/30 to Wednesday 2/5
This week’s highlights … On Stage | This Weekend’s “Winter Fun” | Fitness Events | Greater Chicago Events | | Active Kids Zone | Party Place | Dining Guide | This Week’s Sponsors … See below.
GO TO Suburban Family’s “Winter Fun” issue
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions presents…
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe TICKETS AVAILABLE
January 24 – February 8, 2020
Based on the first book in C.S. Lewis’ series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Dramatized for stage by Joseph Robinette. This thrilling tale of four children transported to a mythical, far-away land has gripped young and old readers alike for generations. See your favorite characters on stage, including the fawn Mr. Tumnus, the friendly Beaver family, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Watch their epic battle to free Narnia from the forces of the White Witch as they await the triumphant return of Aslan the Lion. School Day Performances: **Groups of 15 or more** Call the Box Office for more info!
Disney On Ice presents…
Road Trip Adventures. TICKETS AVAILABLE
Hit the road with Mickey Mouse and his pals for a high-octane ride in Disney On Ice presents Road Trip Adventures. Exciting twists and turns await as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy—and you—embark on a wild ride to your favorite Disney destinations. Travel with Moana to the sun-soaked Motunui, set off on a safari to the Pride Lands with Simba. Discover a whole new world as you’re swept up in Aladdin’s princely parade. Play at a larger-than-life carnival with Woody and Forky. Join us for a fun-filled getaway jam-packed with unexpected hijinks and up-close character interactions. Allstate Arena, Rosemont: Feb. 6 – 9. www.disneyonice.com/road-trip-adventures
This Weekend’s “Winter Fun!”
Japan Fest 2020: Tokyo Olympic
Oak Park River Forest High School Japanese program is hosting our 18th annual Japan Fest on Saturday, February 1 from noon till 4:00 pm. We are going to highlight Tokyo Olympics this year. Please come enjoy games (Olympic related sports games), crafts & activities (language lesson, Olympic trivia, origami, calligraphy, face paint, chopsticks and more) and various performances (drums, traditional dances, koto harps, martial arts). Free admission (we charge cash for food). This is a great event for the whole family! 201 N. Scoville Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302.
Embrace Winter Family Fun at Wilmot Mountain! Traverse the slopes, take a lesson, enjoy upgraded food & beverages options at Ski Hill Grill, attend great season long events or enjoy slope side views and a hot toddy at Walt’s Tavern. Ski, snowboard and tube with us this season. Join us for Super Hero’s Day on Jan 12th SUPER HEROES. Dress as your favorite Super Hero and “fly” down the slopes. Costume contest and parade at 1pm. Or enjoy the Totally Tubular 80’s Party on Jan. 25th from 11am – 6pm. Wear your best 80’s gear and join us for a rad day on the tubing hill including great tunes, photo booth, party favors and more! One hour from Chicago just north of the WI/IL border. www.wilmotmountain.com.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Kohl Children’s Museum
17 interactive hands-on exhibits to spark curiosity and inspire a love of learning for children ages birth to 8. Held over through March 29: Come explore the great outdoors with our interactive exhibit Nature Cat: Backyard and Beyond, based on the hit PBS Kids TV show, and developed in partnership with Spiffy Pictures and WTTW! See for yourself why we’re The Place Where Awesome Lives! Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd., Glenview, IL. For more information, call 847-832-6600 or visit www.kcmgc.org.
WhirlyBall Naperville is open! Boasting a two-story “eatertainment” complex with WhirlyBall, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane bowling suite, HyperBowling and a multilevel laser tag area. WhirlyBall’s food is powered by its restaurant, The Pivot Room. The Pivot Room’s relaxed dining experience featuring a fresh take on classic American fare, and an expansive rotating craft beer selection. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800.
Cascade Mountain…where kids ski free!
One of the most popular ski resorts in the Midwest is Cascade Mountain. Located on Interstate 90/94 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells, Cascade is a large area with 47 ski trails and snow tubing. Wisconsin Dells is just 15 minutes away from Cascade, and the city of Portage is even closer. Families with children save a bundle at Cascade Mountain because kids 12 and under ski free when accompanied by a paying adult. For more information, go to www.cascademountain.com.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, a trade show, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
Dare to do something different this winter! Learn to ski/snowboard or bring the family and friends for snow tubing. With six ski runs and a double wide tube hill Villa Olivia offers winter fun in your own backyard. We can even make our own snow! The season runs through March 1st. Villa Olivia is located at 1401 W. Lake Street in Bartlett. For hours of operation and weather related information visit villaolivia.com or call 630-289-1000.
Villa St. Benedict
Villa St. Benedict is a boutique lifestyle community with 47 acres of beautiful grounds and a warm community atmosphere. They offer variety of independent living and assisted living apartments, and memory care. Residents enjoy a carefree lifestyle with maintenance-free villa homes and apartments, gourmet dining options with chef-prepared meals, engaging activities, events, and much more. Learn more by visiting www.villastben.org or by contacting a sales counselor at (630) 852-0345.
Sunday, February 2
- Super Shuffle 5K. Geneva. genevaparks.org
This Week’s Greater Chicago Events…
THURSDAY, JANUARY 30
- KIDS Magician Training 101 – Amaze family and friends with tricks, ropes, coins, mind-reading and more. All materials are provided, and each participant receives a magic kit to take home. Bartlett Community Center. Bartlettparks.org.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 31
- OPEN HOUSE Little Trees – Little Trees is an immersive outdoor nature-based learning experience for children ages 3 to 5 years old. Interested parents are encouraged to attend the to learn more about the program. 6–7:30 p.m. Free. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. Mortonarb.org.
- KIDS Arbor Reading Adventures – Stories, crafts and an adventure walk during this program held in the Sterling Morton Library. Wed and Fri in January, 11–11:45 AM. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. Mortonarb.org.
- EXHIBIT On the Right Track: By Rail to Chicago & Beyond – Through 3/29/20. Take a journey through 170 years of railroading history—from Elmhurst to Chicago and beyond. View a wide array of artifacts. Hands-on learning stations. FREE. Elmhurst History Museum, elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Home Grown – Through 7/28/2020. Explores the historical methods and tools that DuPage residents used to farm and raise livestock and the impacts agriculture has had on the country. DuPage County Historical Museum, Wheaton. Wheatonparks.org.
- ADULTS Chocolate, Cheese, and Wine Tasting! – Ticket includes a souvenir wine glass, wine tastings, as well as, chocolate and cheese. Local restaurants will be sampling off their menu. Reserve 22 at Village Links, Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org.
- TWEENS Jungle Party! Calling all 5th-8th graders, this night is just for you! We’re closing down the Arlington Ridge Center Pool for a night of swimming, pizza, a movie & fun!7-9:30pm Ages 10-13. Arlington Hgts. Ahpd.org.
- FUNDRAISER Mad Fore Plaid Mini Golf – Enjoy 18 holes of mini golf, raffles, appetizers and awards at this 21+ event Doors Open at 6:30PM; Shotgun Start at 7PM. Wheaton Public Library, Wheaton. dupagemuseum.org.
- OUTDOOR Cross-Country Ski and Snowshoe Rentals – This winter embrace the snowy season and trek through 1,700 acres of The Morton Arboretum’s winter wonderland. Daily in January, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Monday-Friday; 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- HISTORY Farmhouse Museum Tour at Kline Creek Farm – Through 3/30/20. Tour the farmhouse museum, and learn how the home served as the building block of the rural community. FREE. Warrenville. 10AM – 4PM. Closed Tues and Wed.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 1
- OUTDOOR Nature Discovery Days: Winter Birds – Fun hands-on activities, games, crafts, experiments, nature books and more. Designed for children and adults to explore nature topics. 11AM – 2PM. Knoch Knolls Nature Center River Room, Naperville. Napervilleparks.org.
- FAMILY Turtle-Y Awesome Super Bowl Prediction Party – Learn about box turtles, enjoy a few games and watch our turtle ambassadors predict the winner of the Super Bowl! 1-2 PM. Ages 5+. Red Oak Nature Center, Aurora. foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Chicago’s Night Sky – Learn about the impact of light pollution, create your own constellations with interactive technology, and learn how to identify cool things in the Chicago sky. Adler Planetarium. adlerplanetarium.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Wired to Wear – Now Open. Wired to Wear is the first-ever exhibit dedicated to wearable technology—smart clothing and devices designed to extend the human body’s capabilities and make us healthier, stronger and safer. Museum of Science and Industry. msichicago.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Cloud Buster – Now Open. Cloud Buster is 37 ft climbable structure. Every nook and cranny provides a different thrill. Chicago Children’s Museum. chicagochildrensmuseum.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Underwater Beauty – Enter a world of shimmer, color, pattern and rhythm, in the aquarium’s most diverse special exhibit ever. Shedd Aquarium. sheddaquarium.org.
- EXHIBIT Could Be Architecture: McCormick AfterParti – January 25 – April 12, 2020. Chicago-based design duo transforms historic McCormick House into playful, interactive playground. Elmhurst Art Museum, Elmhurst. elmhurstartmuseum.org
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2
- KIDS Mother and Daughter Sensational Spa Social – Mothers and daughters will be pampered and enjoy activities, crafts and light snacks. Ages 3-8. Register. 11 AM-12:15 PM & 1:30-2:45 PM. Bock Neighborhood Center, Schaumburg. Parksfun.com.
- FAMILY Snowman Photo Contest – Through 2/28/2020. Get outside and build a snowman together. Take a photo and submit it to email@example.com. Winners announced 3/2/2020. Darien. Darienparks.com.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 3
- OUTDOOR Star Gazing – Use professional-grade telescopes to search the heavens for constellations, galaxies, stars and star clusters, as well as planets with their moons, our Moon, the International Space Station, comets and asteroids. Ages 3 & up w/ Adult. 7-8:30 PM. Mather Woods, Plainfield. plfdparks.org
- FAMILY Adult/Tot Open Climb – Kids 2-5 climb the indoor rock wall on Mondays through February 24! Other age-appropriate activities will be available. Must be accompanied by adult. 9:30AM-11AM. Ackerman SFC, Glen Ellyn. AckermanSFC.com.
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 4
- CLUB DuPage Valley Toastmasters – Non profit club helping people become better speakers. Meets 1st and 3rd Tuesday’s of every month at 7:15 pm at Covenant Living, 124 Windsor Park Drive Carol Stream. 630-501-7099.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5
- BAKING Valentines Treats – Make cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries. Parents, please join your junior chef for sampling during the last 15 minutes of class. Please notify of any allergies at registration. Barlett Community Center. Bartlettparks.org.
- KIDS Story Time – January 22 – March 25, 2020. 10 – 11 AM. Stop by for nature-themed stories and activities Wednesdays in the Lenhardt Library. Ages 2-5. Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe.Chicagobotanicgarden.org.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS