Weekend+ for 2/6 to 2/12
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 2/6 to Wednesday 2/12
This week’s highlights … On Stage | This Weekend’s “Winter Fun” | Fitness Events | Greater Chicago Events | | Active Kids Zone | Party Place | Dining Guide | This Week’s Sponsors … See below.
Photo: Overshadowed Theatrical Productions: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
GO TO Suburban Family’s “Winter Fun” issue
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions presents…
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe FINAL WEEKEND
January 24 – February 8, 2020
Based on the first book in C.S. Lewis’ series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Dramatized for stage by Joseph Robinette. This thrilling tale of four children transported to a mythical, far-away land has gripped young and old readers alike for generations. See your favorite characters on stage, including the fawn Mr. Tumnus, the friendly Beaver family, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Watch their epic battle to free Narnia from the forces of the White Witch as they await the triumphant return of Aslan the Lion. School Day Performances: **Groups of 15 or more** Call the Box Office for more info!
Disney On Ice presents…
Road Trip Adventures. FINAL WEEKEND
Hit the road with Mickey Mouse and his pals for a high-octane ride in Disney On Ice presents Road Trip Adventures. Exciting twists and turns await as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy—and you—embark on a wild ride to your favorite Disney destinations. Travel with Moana to the sun-soaked Motunui, set off on a safari to the Pride Lands with Simba. Discover a whole new world as you’re swept up in Aladdin’s princely parade. Play at a larger-than-life carnival with Woody and Forky. Join us for a fun-filled getaway jam-packed with unexpected hijinks and up-close character interactions. Allstate Arena, Rosemont: Feb. 6 – 9. www.disneyonice.com/road-trip-adventures
Moraine Valley Community College’s Fine and Performing Arts Center presents…
“We Shall Overcome” – A Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Featuring Damien Sneed. February 16, 2020, 3 p.m.
We Shall Overcome showcases African American music traditions that electrified generations of civil rights activists and defenders and is interwoven with excerpts from Dr. King’s recorded speeches.
Damien Sneed, a world-renowned artist and recipient of the prestigious Sphinx Medal of Excellence honor, presented annually to emerging Black and Latino leaders in classical music, brings his amazing talent to MVCC’sFine and Performing Arts Center in this memorable show. Come experience a moving tribute to the civil rights leader that features music from genres such as gospel, jazz, Broadway and spirituals. A great way to celebrate Black History Month! “His talent stretches across traditional divisions. In the realest sense, he uses his artistry to make our world a better place.” Wynton Marsalis, of Damien Sneed. Located at 9000 W. College Parkway, Palos Hills, IL 60465. (708) 974-4300. www.morainevalley.edu/fpac/events/we-shall-overcome-a-celebration-of-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-featuring-damien-sneed>>
This Weekend’s “Winter Fun!”
Downers Grove Ice Festival
Get out of the house for a weekend of fun, shopping and dining for all ages! The Annual Downtown Downers Grove Ice Festival returns February 7-9, 2020. Watch carvers demonstrate their art in person Friday evening under the lights at 5:30pm on the southeast corner of Main and Curtiss and on Saturday with live ice carving demonstrations from 11am-3pm at the Main Street Train Station as well as south of 5150 Main Street. The carvings will remain pu as long as whether permits! Details at www.downtowndg.org or 630-725-0991.
Embrace Winter Family Fun at Wilmot Mountain! Traverse the slopes, take a lesson, enjoy upgraded food & beverages options at Ski Hill Grill, attend great season long events or enjoy slope side views and a hot toddy at Walt’s Tavern. Ski, snowboard and tube with us this season. Join us for Super Hero’s Day on Jan 12th SUPER HEROES. Dress as your favorite Super Hero and “fly” down the slopes. Costume contest and parade at 1pm. Or enjoy the Totally Tubular 80’s Party on Jan. 25th from 11am – 6pm. Wear your best 80’s gear and join us for a rad day on the tubing hill including great tunes, photo booth, party favors and more! One hour from Chicago just north of the WI/IL border. www.wilmotmountain.com.
WhirlyBall Naperville is open! Boasting a two-story “eatertainment” complex with WhirlyBall, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane bowling suite, HyperBowling and a multilevel laser tag area. WhirlyBall’s food is powered by its restaurant, The Pivot Room. The Pivot Room’s relaxed dining experience featuring a fresh take on classic American fare, and an expansive rotating craft beer selection. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Kohl Children’s Museum
17 interactive hands-on exhibits to spark curiosity and inspire a love of learning for children ages birth to 8. Held over through March 29: Come explore the great outdoors with our interactive exhibit Nature Cat: Backyard and Beyond, based on the hit PBS Kids TV show, and developed in partnership with Spiffy Pictures and WTTW! See for yourself why we’re The Place Where Awesome Lives! Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd., Glenview, IL. For more information, call 847-832-6600 or visit www.kcmgc.org.
Cascade Mountain…where kids ski free!
One of the most popular ski resorts in the Midwest is Cascade Mountain. Located on Interstate 90/94 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells, Cascade is a large area with 47 ski trails and snow tubing. Wisconsin Dells is just 15 minutes away from Cascade, and the city of Portage is even closer. Families with children save a bundle at Cascade Mountain because kids 12 and under ski free when accompanied by a paying adult. For more information, go to www.cascademountain.com.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, a trade show, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
Dare to do something different this winter! Learn to ski/snowboard or bring the family and friends for snow tubing. With six ski runs and a double wide tube hill Villa Olivia offers winter fun in your own backyard. We can even make our own snow! The season runs through March 1st. Villa Olivia is located at 1401 W. Lake Street in Bartlett. For hours of operation and weather related information visit villaolivia.com or call 630-289-1000.
Villa St. Benedict
Villa St. Benedict is a boutique lifestyle community with 47 acres of beautiful grounds and a warm community atmosphere. They offer variety of independent living and assisted living apartments, and memory care. Residents enjoy a carefree lifestyle with maintenance-free villa homes and apartments, gourmet dining options with chef-prepared meals, engaging activities, events, and much more. Learn more by visiting www.villastben.org or by contacting a sales counselor at (630) 852-0345.
Saturday, February 8
- Cupid’s Undie Run. Chicago. cupids.org.
- Fight for Air Climb. Oakbrook Terrace. fightforairclimb.org.
- Universal Sole Valentines Trail Challenge – Chicago. universalsole.com.
Sunday, February 9
- ET Indoor Triathlon Series, Lisle. experiencetriathlon.com.
This Week’s Greater Chicago Events…
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6
- KIDS LEGO® Engineering Workshop – Students will use our proprietary kits and step-by-step model plans to construct motorized amusement park rides like a ferris wheel, merry-go-round and carousel swing. 5:30-7:30 PM. AGES: 5-10. Sunset Knolls, Lombard. invillapark.com.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7
- FITNESS Triathlon Swim Camp – A beginner to intermediate clinic that focuses on freestyle (front crawl) swim technique. Bring a swimsuit and goggles. FREE. Ages 14+. 6:30-7:30 PM. Schaumburg Tennis Plus, Schaumburg. Parksfun.com.
- HISTORY Farmhouse Museum Tour at Kline Creek Farm – Through 3/30/20. Tour the farmhouse museum, and learn how the home served as the building block of the rural community. FREE. Warrenville. 10AM – 4PM. Closed Tues and Wed.
- EXHIBIT On the Right Track: By Rail to Chicago & Beyond – Through 3/29/20. Take a journey through 170 years of railroading history—from Elmhurst to Chicago and beyond. View a wide array of artifacts. Hands-on learning stations. FREE. Elmhurst History Museum, elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Home Grown – Through 7/28/2020. Explores the historical methods and tools that DuPage residents used to farm and raise livestock and the impacts agriculture has had on the country. DuPage County Historical Museum, Wheaton. Wheatonparks.org.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8
- MUSIC Open Mic Night – Longing for a chance to stand in the spot light, sharing your musical gifts? Join us for Open Mic Night in our theater. Singers and musicians of all ages are welcome. No bands. Register. Bartlett Nature Center, Bartlett. Bartlettparks.org.
- HEALTH First Aid for Kids – This American Red Cross course teaches children introductory first aid skills. Hands-on activities. 12-1:30 PM. Historic Village Hall, Algonquin. Algonquin.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Chicago’s Night Sky – Learn about the impact of light pollution, create your own constellations with interactive technology, and learn how to identify cool things in the Chicago sky. Adler Planetarium. adlerplanetarium.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Wired to Wear – Now Open. Wired to Wear is the first-ever exhibit dedicated to wearable technology—smart clothing and devices designed to extend the human body’s capabilities and make us healthier, stronger and safer. Museum of Science and Industry. msichicago.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Cloud Buster – Now Open. Cloud Buster is 37 ft climbable structure. Every nook and cranny provides a different thrill. Chicago Children’s Museum. chicagochildrensmuseum.org.
- CHICAGO / CITY Underwater Beauty – Enter a world of shimmer, color, pattern and rhythm, in the aquarium’s most diverse special exhibit ever. Shedd Aquarium. sheddaquarium.org.
- EXHIBIT Could Be Architecture: McCormick AfterParti – January 25 – April 12, 2020. Chicago-based design duo transforms historic McCormick House into playful, interactive playground. Elmhurst Art Museum, Elmhurst. elmhurstartmuseum.org
- EXHIBIT The Orchid Show at Chicago Botanic Garden – February 8 – March 22, 2020. 10 AM – 4 PM. Orchids After Hours, Thursday evenings. Show highlighting, reflecting, and enhancing the hues of orchids in a modern world of living color. Glencoe. Chicagobotanicgarden.org
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 9
- ADULTS Oscars Watch Party – Finalize your ballot, enjoy popcorn and other Oscar-themed food while we watch the Oscars. Prizes for most correct guesses. Register. Fee includes one drink at the bar. Age: 21+. 7:30-10 PM. Schaumburg Tennis Plus. Parksfun.com..
- FAMILY Snowman Photo Contest – Through 2/28/2020. Get outside and build a snowman together. Take a photo and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winners announced 3/2/2020. Darien. Darienparks.com.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 10
- KIDS Valentine’s Day with Your American Girl Doll – Bring your American Girl doll or any similar sized doll and design adorable outfits to celebrate the winter. Includes a trip to the beauty shop. 6:30 – 7:30 PM. Bartlett Community Center. Bartlettparks.org.
- ADULTS Investing with $25 – Explore various investment plans, what stocks, bonds and mutual funds are and how to invest in them. 6:30 – 8:30 PM. Free. Register. South Elgin Parks and Rec. il-elgin4.civicplus.com.
- FAMILY Adult/Tot Open Climb – Kids 2-5 climb the indoor rock wall on Mondays through February 24! Other age-appropriate activities will be available. Must be accompanied by adult. 9:30AM-11AM. Ackerman SFC, Glen Ellyn. AckermanSFC.com.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12
- KIDS Cut and Sew Animal Pillows – Boys and girls will design, machine and hand sew unique animal pillows. All materials included. 10:30 AM – Noon. Shawn Sargent Designs, Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org.
- ADULTS Wine & Canvas At The Farm – An instructor guides you to create a canvas masterpiece. Bring wine, snacks, friends and enjoy a creative night out. 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM. Blackberry Farm, Aurora. foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
- TEENS Intro to Green Screen Room – Tour the Green Screen Room. Learn the studio workflow, procedures and how to remove the background using Photoshop and iMovie. Register. 3-3:45PM. Naperville 95th St. Library. Naperville-lib.org.
- KIDS Story Time – January 22 – March 25, 2020. 10 – 11 AM. Stop by for nature-themed stories and activities Wednesdays in the Lenhardt Library. Ages 2-5. Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe.Chicagobotanicgarden.org.
- TECH iPad & iPhone Help Desk Jan 8 & 22, Feb 12 & 26. Our expert volunteer will answer questions and cover the basics for using your iPad or iPhone to its maximum potential. Register. 9AM-12PM. Helen Plum Library, Lombard. Helenplum.com .
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS