WEEKEND+ for 4/1 to 4/7
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 4/1 to Wednesday 4/7
Summer Camp Sign-Up Time | Springtime Fun | 2021 Annual Race Guide | Virtual Birthday Parties | Kids with Invisible Disabilities | Party Places | Education Resource | Dining Guide
GO TO Suburban Family’s “Springtime Fun” Issue.
Springtime is finally here, and it’s the perfect time to plan a staycation to Naperville. With 17 hotels, there is a comfortable place to rest your head after a day of exploring all that Naperville has to offer. While in Naperville, check out the various attractions and dine or carry out at one of the 300+ restaurants in our beautiful city. More information can be found at VisitNaperville.com and DineNaperville.com.
MISH MASH Adventures
MISH MASH Adventures is an indoor urban adventure where teams of 2-6 players work together to complete the challenges that are behind every door. Each challenge and room is different, taking 3-5 minutes to successfully complete. Some are physical, like the floor is lava – and some are logic, but you won’t know until you open the door! Private bookings for parties and team building available. MISH MASH is located in Fox Valley Mall, Aurora, IL and is open 7 days a week. Book online at www.mishmashadventures.com or call 630-907-7263.
Water Street, Naperville
All the Best of Naperville on Water Street
Water Street is your spot to shop, dine, spa, stay and celebrate! Anchored by the beautiful Hotel Indigo and nestled along Naperville’s famed Downtown Riverwalk, Water Street invites you to discover fabulous restaurants offering everything from sushi to tacos, Mediterranean to wine-pairings and cocktails with the best-ever sunset view. Escape to an award-winning experiential spa and salon, discover gift and apparel shopping for men and women or plan your dream wedding or event here! www.waterstreetnaperville.com
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
Whether you’re planning your next date night, work outing or family gathering, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! Choose from a variety of activities including WhirlyBall, LaserTag, HyperBowling and bowling. Enjoy delicious food, craft beer and signature cocktails at The Pivot Room, open for lunch and dinner daily. Reserve your space today! www.whirlyball.com WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800
Creek Bend Nature Center
Need a change of scenery? Visit LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve. Along with miles of trail, the preserve’s home to Creek Bend Nature Center. Interactive exhibits feature Illinois’ State Tree, an underwater view of the Fox River, and bison dating back to the 1800s. There’s plenty to see and do! We’re open Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday – Sunday, noon to 4 p.m. Admission is always free. See www.kaneforest.com.
The Middle of Everywhere
Ottawa, Illinois is a vibrant tourist destination located 80 miles outside of downtown Chicago. It is often considered to be “In the Middle of Everywhere,” located in the heart of the state, central to several major Illinois cities and drive markets, and within a stone’s throw of many diverse activities–from lush and natural outdoor areas to renowned cultural and historic attractions. Those who visit Ottawa, Illinois take note of its friendly and neighborly, hometown feel. Ottawa Visitors Center. pickusottawail.com. 815-434-2737.
The Forge: Lemont Quarries
The Forge: Lemont Quarries is a first-of-its-kind adventure park designed to deliver unique year-round outdoor activities. From ropes courses, ziplines, and climbing walls, to mountain biking, hiking trails, and adventurous dining options, The Forge: Lemont Quarries has something to Exhilarate, Educate, and Entertain adventurers of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Located near beautiful downtown Lemont, The Forge offers an outdoor experience unlike anything else. Head to www.forgeparks.com for more information.
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society
MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
It’s Summer Camp Sign-Up Time…
- The Forge: Lemont Quarries
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s Online Summer Camps
- Good Times Summer Day Camp
- NIU STEAM Summer Camps
- Great Lakes Volleyball Center
- Downers Grove Park District
- Shining Stars
- Willows Academy
- Rock ‘n’ Kids!
- Little Mountain Community Theatre
Fitness Race Guide…
SATURDAY, APRIL 3
- Chi Town Half Marathon and 10K Run. Chicago. halfmarathons.net
- Chocolate Chase Rabbit Race. Palos Heights. palosheightsrec.org
- Two Brothers Brew Trot 1.5 Mile Fun Run. Warrenville. warrenvilleparks.org
- Fast Cat 5K/10K and 1 mile Kids Run. Plainfield. runfastcat.com
VIRTUAL and TBD (to be determined) Races …
- VIRTUAL Run, Walk and Roll 5K/1mile. Bloomingdale. marklund.org/series/5kbloomingdale (4/15 – 18)
- VIRTUAL McHenry County Human Race 5K Run/Walk and Toddler Race. Crystal Lake. volunteercentermchenrycounty.org (4//21 – 5/9)
- TBD Huskies Heroes Run/Walk. Arlington Heights. herseydeafalumni.org
- TBD Brookfield Zoo Run. Czs.org
THURSDAY, APRIL 1
- KIDS Flashlight Egg Hunt – Search for eggs filled with candy and prizes. Ages 11 – 15. 8PM.. Wilder Park, Elmhurst. Register epd.org.
FRIDAY, APRIL 2
- FAMILY Pizza and Bingo – Spend an evening with family and friends playing bingo and winning prizes. 6:30 – 8:30PM. Community Recreation Center, 100 Community Blvd., Wheeling. Preregistration required: wheelingparkdistrict.com.
- EXHIBIT Women in the Military – Exploring women’s roles. Thru June 13. Explore the Great Depression through the eyes of a Lake County artists. Dunn Museum, Libertyville. LCFPD.org/MuseumTickets
- EXHIBIT Together We Cannot Fail – Thru May 2. Delve into the roots of the Depression and find out about some of the important federal relief programs. Free. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Overcoming the Great Depression – Learn more about this challenging time. Thru May 2nd. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org.
- KIDS Hands on Learning – Join DuPage Children’s Museum for Arts & Maker Virtual programming which provides children with the materials, tools, inspiration, and opportunities for collaboration that truly lets their imaginations soar. dupagechildrens.org/virtual-learning
- TOURS Frank Lloyd Wright – Weekly Thursday video tours on Facebook Live spotlight beauty of Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings closed due to COVID-19. Hosted by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. Learn more at savewright.org.
- TOURS Old Joliet Prison – One and half hour walking tours outside led by guides from Joliet Area Historical Museum. Ages 10 and up. Joliet. jolietmuseum.org.
SATURDAY, APRIL 3
- FAMILY Doggy Egg Hunt – Bring your fur baby out to hunt for treats at Clow Stephens Dog Park. $5 pr dog. 10-11AM. Plainfield. plfdparks.org.
- KIDS Flashlight Egg Hunt – Join the mad dash to find eggs and prizes. Ages 2-8. Pre-fix times 9-11AM. Berens Park, Elmhurst. Register epd.org.
- FAMILY Wheeling Walk – Saturdays at 9:30 AM. Free. Meet on the walking path adjacent to the Heritage Park Performance Pavilion for a walk around the park. Fur babies, too. Inclement weather, meet on the 2nd fl. track of the Community Rec. Center. 201 Community Boulevard, Wheeling. wheelingparkdistrict.com
SUNDAY, APRIL 4
- Happy Easter!
- Virtual Birthday Party + Party Places
- Kids with Invisible Disabilities + Education Resource
- Dining Out
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS