WEEKEND+ for 6/27 to 7/3
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 6/27 to Wednesday 7/3
THIS WEEK … Best Day Trips | Waterparks and Pools | Fairs and Festivals | Fitness/Race Events | Greater Chicago Events | Entertain in Style + Party Place | Greater Chicago Events | Golf Links and Tips | Dining Guide | This Week’s Sponsors … see below.
The new “Summer Fun!” issue of Suburban Family is available here.
Congratulations to our winners of last issue’s “Survey Contest.” Margie Grafton, Bolingbrook and J Cannella, Bloomingdale, who are both winners of a $50 gift to Mon Ami Gabi in Oakbrook.
Best Day Trips
Santa’s Village Amusement Park
Come for the NOSTALGIA and stay for the FUN!! With RIDES, ANIMALS and SHOWS the whole family will have FUN at Santa’s Village! Summer of 2019 will also see the biggest addition to date with Santa Springs!! Make a big splash at the all NEW water attraction! With multiple kiddie slides and a wading pool too, this monstrous play structure will allow for hours of fun in the sun with the whole family!! Visit Santasvillagedundee.com or call 847-426-6751 for further details. Located at 601 Dundee Ave., East Dundee, IL.
Mid-Continent Railway Museum
Mid-Continent Railway Museum – Take a step back in time! Climb aboard for a 55-minute round-trip train ride in historic railcars. Explore the museum filled with restored railcars and steam locomotives from the late 1800s and early 1900s and browse the museum gift shop inside the depot. For more information, call 800-930-1385 or visit www.midcontinent.org. Mid-Continent Railway Museum, E8948 Museum Road, North Freedom, WI 53951.
Boundless Adventures is more than just a zipline park! It’s an exciting new family-friendly aerial adventure park experience for thrill-seekers, adventurers, tree-climbers, zip-liners and outdoor enthusiasts that is now open in Wisconsin! With 120 obstacles, 20 ziplines and 9 courses with 4 different difficulty levels, there is something for everyone! 9800 160th Avenue, Bristol, Wisconsin. For more information or to reserve your spot today, please visit https://boundlessadventures.net/wi-park or call 262-924-8626.
Kohl Children’s Museum
With 17 hands-on exhibits, come see for yourself why we’re the Place Where Awesome Lives! Starting July 30, take a journey through the great outdoors in the world-debut interactive exhibit, Nature Cat: Backyard and Beyond, with Nature Cat, Hal, Daisy, and Squeeks! Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd, Glenview, IL. For more information, call (847) 832-6600 or visit www.kcmgc.org.
Complete Renovations at Bloomingdale Park District
The Bloomingdale Park District has undergone a complete renovation is an ideal spot to visit before summer’s end. The all-new Johnston Recreation Center features an indoor playground, workout center and multi-purpose space for teens and active adults. The adjacent Oasis Water Park offers an eight-lane competitive pool with drop slide and diving boards, a zero-depth entry pool and an all-new children’s sprayground. Both facilities border Circle Park, complete with a brand new playground, basketball court, roller hockey rink, skate spot, fitness stations, .35-mile loop and picnic shelter with indoor restrooms. Visit www.bloomingdaleparks.org for information on any of the above attractions.
John Deere Attractions
Discover free, family-friendly fun at our John Deere Attractions sites. Climb into the cab of legendary machines at the John Deere Pavilion. Witness the evolution from horse-drawn to horsepower at the John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum. And discover an archeological site and live blacksmith demonstrations at the John Deere Historic Site. Open Monday–Saturday, 9am–5pm and Sunday, noon–4pm. For holiday hours and location information, go to VisitJohnDeere.com.
Onesti’s Wild West Town
Bring your family, group or party for a day of wild west fun at Onesti’s Wild West Town, a family amusement park, conveniently located just off of Interstate 90 and open 7 days a week. Cowboys, ponies, train and roller coaster rides, escape room, live musical performances daily, museum exhibits, rockabilly café serving Americana fare, old towne shoppes, tomahawk throwing and more! Discounted party packages available. 8512 S. Union Road, Union, IL. www.wildwesttown.com (815) 923-9000.
Discovery Center Museum
Discovery Center Museum – a hands-on children’s museum with more than 300 interactive exhibits relating math, science and art for children ages birth-12. Exhibits related to the human body, electricity, sports, math, simple machines and agriculture. There is also a Tot Spot Gallery designed for ages 6 and younger, a live science theater and an award-winning outdoor park. Special events on Fridays June 15 – August 8. Visit DiscoveryCenterMuseum.org. Location: 711 N. Main Street, Rockford.
Sight Seeing Tours in Chicago, Gray Line Tours
Since 1926, Gray Line has operated professional sightseeing tours in Chicago — sharing the city’s warm culture and attractions. Join us this summer as we introduce new tour offerings, state-of-the-art “Stadium Trolleys” and an expanded team of knowledgeable professional guides. Whether you live in the Windy City or you plan to visit, Gray Line makes Chicago sightseeing better with enjoyable, clean, and cool experiences. Book your tour today: www.graylinechicago.com.
Reed’s Canoe Trips are an ideal recreational activity for groups of any size, from a family adventure to large church, school, or park district outing with an adventure close to home. The three trips we offer range in length from approximately 2 hours to a full 6 hours on the water, and are suitable for either new or experienced canoeists. Since the Kankakee River is located only an hour south of Chicagoland, even our longest trip will fit into a one-day outing! 907 N. Indiana Ave, Rt. 50, Kankakee, IL Call for information or reservations: (815)WE CANOE or visit: reedscanoetrips.com.
Mountain View Adventure Center, Des Plaines Park District
This challenging 18-hole mini golf course features a gold-rush mining town theme, with waterfalls, obstacles, and some rather interesting signposts. Six brand new machines in the Batting Cages, with a full range of softball and baseball pitches. Free Skate and BMX parks. Concessions and picnic shelter. A great place for parties and outings. 510 E. Algonquin Rd., Des Plaines, IL. 847-391-5733. www.DPParks.org.
Celebrate America Craft and Art Fair (Presented by Craft Productions, Inc)
100 booths of crafts handmade in the Midwest! Celebrate 4th of July in beautiful Burlington Park, just 1 block North of downtown Hinsdale. Shop, meet the artists, then enjoy the rest of this fun Summer festival featuring a parade, live music, food vendors, turtle races, and free kids activities. Thursday, July 4th, 10am-4pm. Burlington Park, 30 E Chicago Ave, Hinsdale, IL. Just steps from the Hinsdale Metra stop. Free admission. www.craftproductionsinc.com.
Ride Metra to Summer Fun With traffic-free trips to fun Chicago-area destinations like the beach, ballpark, festivals, concerts and more, Metra is made for summer! Enjoy unlimited rides Saturday and Sunday for just $10, and free rides for up to three kids 11 and under with each fare-paying adult through Labor Day. For more fun trip ideas, schedules and to find the station nearest you, visit metrarail.com today!
Aurora Downtown welcomes you this summer with free events for everyone to enjoy. Join us at our free summer concert series Wednesdays at the Plaza that runs until August 14 and Alley Art Festival on August 31. Enjoy family-friendly events like Aurora Museums After Dark and First Fridays. www.auroradowntown.org.
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society
MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, a trade show, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Come camping in Kane County! You can get away from it all without spending it all. Paul Wolff Campground in Elgin and Big Rock Campground in Big Rock offer with electric and water hook-ups for RV camping, plus tent and equestrian camp sites. Both campgrounds are within beautiful Kane County forest preserves where you’ll enjoy miles of trails and other amenities. Sites range from $12 to $35 per day. Call 630-444-1200 or visit www.kaneforest.com.
Bring the whole family on deck for a cruise aboard Spirit of Chicago! Enjoy delicious food, refreshing summer drinks, outdoor games and onboard entertainment, plus unbeatable skyline views you won’t find on land. Docked at Navy Pier, Spirit cruises daily with lunch, brunch and dinner options available. Now through September 30, take 20% off all Signature dining cruises aboard Spirit of Chicago. Use code SUBFAM20 when you book online or by phone. SpiritofChicago.com. Some restrictions apply.
Naper Nights at Naper Settlement
Naper Nights Community Concert Series will kick off this summer with an exciting line-up covering the best in rock n’ roll history. Visitors will relax under the stars while enjoying cold drinks, delicious food and amazing music. Naper Nights will take place from 5-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights on July 19-20 and Aug. 16-18 at Naper Settlement located at 523 S. Webster St. in Naperville. Tickets are on sale now. Visit www.NaperNights.org.
Village of Arlington Heights
Arlington Heights is the perfect summer family destination to shop, dine, and play! Discover our unique Downtown ambiance with great shopping, dining, and entertainment at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre. Take in live outdoor music at the Sounds of Summer concert series Thursday and Friday evenings in Harmony Park. Check out Frontier Days, July 3-July 7 at Recreation Park, featuring one of the largest Fourth of July parades in the area, along with great entertainment, rides, and games! Come back Downtown on August 2-3 for the Mane Event/Taste of Arlington Heights, offering block after block of the best cuisine in Arlington Heights. For more great experiences, visit www.DiscoverArlington.com.
Village of Lemont…Enjoy Our Scene!
No matter the season, breathtaking hills, valleys, quarries and canals frame Lemont, a quaint village just 25 miles southwest of Chicago. This unexpected sanctuary is an ideal place to live, visit and experience. As we approach summer there’s no shortage of things to do in Lemont. This summer, Lemont Farmers Market runs every Tuesday morning, Lemont Legends Cruise Nights every Wednesday evening, and there’s even a series of Thursday evening concerts to add to the mix. And you won’t want to miss Heritage Fest, the highlight of the summer, on Saturday, July 13 with good food, great music and tons of family fun! For details on Heritage Fest, visit www.lemont.il.us/HeritageFest. Lemont is an oasis of dining, shopping, events and activities, all year long. Whatever you do this summer, come and experience Lemont, and Enjoy Our Scene! www.lemont.il.us.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions presents “Newsies”
July 12 – August 3, 2019 Music by Alan Menken (composer for “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid”) “Newsies” is a crowd-pleasing, soul-stirring musical. Set in New York City at the turn of the 20th century and inspired by the historic newsboy strike—this show packs a powerful message about defying injustice, standing together, and never backing down. Performing at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah, Illinois. For tickets call 630.634.2100 or visit our website at overshadowed.org.
FEATURING: Santa’s Village Amusement Park | Caribbean Paradise Waterpark, Itasca Park District | | Mystic Waters Family Aquatic Center, Des Plaines Park District || Otter Cove Aquatic Park, St. Charles Park District | Indoor & Outdoor Family Aquatic Center, Oak Brook Park District | Paradise Bay Water Park, The Lombard Park District | Ty Warner Spray Park, Westmont Park District | Aquatics Recreation Pool, Arlington Heights Park District | Family Aquatic Center, Wheeling Park District |
Fairs and Festivals
Music by the Lake – June 23 – August 10. Entertaining events, family programming, open-air lakeside setting. Williams Bay, Wisconsin (seven miles from Lake Geneva). 262-245-8501. www.musicbythelake.com.
Upcoming Fairs and Festivals…
- Arlington Heights’ Frontier Days Festival – July 3rd – July 7th. FREE ADMISSION, FREE Music Entertainment, Carnival Rides, 4th of July Parade, Food, Beer, Wine, Bingo, Family Activities, Pony Rides, 3v3 Soccer, Stampede Run 5K/10K, Arts & Crafts Marketplace and so much more! www.FrontierDays.org.
- Naperville Ribfest – July 3 – 6 Top food vendors, rib contest, entertainment, carnival rides, games and fireworks. Knoch Park, Naperville. www.ribfest.net.
- Itasca Fest – July 11 – 14. Live music, Carnival rides, Food vendors, Flea market, Car show, Health fair. FREE admission and parking. Washington Park, Itasca. Sponsored by the Itasca Lions Club. 630-773-0835. www.itascalions.org/Stories/itasca-fest.
- Arlington Heights Historical Museum’s Irish Fest – July 12th (4-11PM) & 13th (4-11PM). Live music & food trucks. Arlington Heights Historical Museum grounds, corner of Euclid & Vail. 847-255-1225. www.ahmuseum.org/irishfest.
- Uncork Barrington – 7/12. Fine wine tasting, food from local restaurants and music. Barrington Metra Station parking lot. uncorkbarrington.com.
- Lemont’s 29th Annual Heritage Fest – Saturday, July 13, 2019, 4 pm to 11 pm. Great Music, Wonderful Food, and Amazing Family Fun! Historic Downtown Lemont. 630-243-2700. www.lemont.il.us/HeritageFest.
- Barrington Brew Fest – 7/13. Craft and premium beer tastings, local food vendors and live music. Barrington Metra Station parking lot. barringtonbrewfest.com.
Fitness / Race Events …
SUNDAY, JUNE 30
- Chicago 10K Run. Chicago. runmfg.com.
Upcoming Fitness / Races Events…
Fiesta Del Sol 5K – A Run for the Kids. Sat. 7/20 at 7:30 AM. 5k run/walk & special event,
certified course. Benefits the Hanover Park Park Foundation, Heritage Park, Hanover Park. 630-837-2468. www.Hpparks.org/5k.
Splash Pedal Dash & Dash Pedal Dash – Sun. 7/28 at 5:15 AM. Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon, chip-timed event. Schaumburg Park District Meineke Recreation Center. 847-490-7020. www.parkfun.com or register at www.active.com
Evanston Bicycle Club’s 3 5th Annual North Shore Century – Sunday, September 15, 2019. Scenic go-at-your-own pace routes of 25, 50, 62 and 100 miles. SAG support; Well-stocked rest stops on all routes. Helmets strongly urged! All rides leave from Dawes Park in Evanston, 6:00a.m. to 11:00a.m. www.northshorecentury.org .
This Week’s Greater Chicago Events…
THURSDAY, JUNE 27
- MOVIE Spider-Man – Meet the super hero of the night then watch the movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” 8 PM. Heritage Park Performance Pavilion, Wheeling. Free. wheelingparkdistrict.com.
- FAMILY Thursday Night Out – Thursdays 5/30-8/29. Purchase a ticket booklet and enjoy dining out at more than 20 downtown Oak Park restaurants. Event features a free concert series on Marion St. Purchase booklets at the Downtown Oak Park kiosk at Lake and Marion on Thursday nights from 5-9 PM. downtownoakpark.net.
FRIDAY, JUNE 28
- MOVIE in the Park – Watch a showing of “A Dog’s Way Home” under the stars! Lawn seating. 8:30 PM. Cantigny Bandshell, Wheaton. Free with paid parking. cantigny.org.
SATURDAY, JUNE 29
- FAMILY Cardboard Regatta – Participants race handmade cardboard boats across Lake Ellyn. Awards for fastest race time, most spectacular sinking and more. Event opens at 10 AM, races begin at 12 PM. Lake Ellyn Park, Glen Ellyn. Fee, register at gepark.org/regatta.
- DOG Days – Enjoy a special dog play area, vendors from the dog world and specially trained canines to entertain. All dogs must have current vaccination tags and be social with others. 10 AM-4 PM. Cantigny Parade Field, Wheaton. Free with paid parking. cantigny.org.
- CONFERENCE for Gifted Students – Northwestern University’s Opportunities for the Future Conference features stimulating workshops and presentations to help academically advanced students and their families plan for the future. 1-5 PM. Technological Institute at Northwestern, Evanston. Register at ctd.northwestern.edu/family-conference.
- CHICAGO CITY Navy Pier Fireworks – Wednesdays and Saturdays, Memorial Day through Labor Day. Watch a spectacular fireworks display, perfectly synchronized to music on Lake Michigan. navypier.org.
SUNDAY, JUNE 30
- FAMILY Concert – Mr. Singer & The Sharp Cookies perform clever originals augmented by some punky favorites amplified by a bigger-than-life performer and his mates. Lawn seating. 11 AM. Cantigny Bandshell, Wheaton. Free with paid parking. cantigny.org.
- CONCERT The Fortunate Sons – This Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute band brings the ultimate CCR experience to the stage complete with vintage instruments and costumes. Lawn seating. 3 PM. Cantigny Bandshell, Wheaton. Free with paid parking. cantigny.org.
FEATURING: Arlington Lakes Golf Club, Arlington Heights | Golf Center Des Plaines
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS