Weekend+ for 8/6 to 8/12
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 8/6 to Wednesday 8/12
Best Day Trips & More | Calendar & Fitness Events | At Home Learning through the Summer + Resources | Summer Party Safety Tips + Party Place | 6 APPS for Fit Kids + Resources | Dining Out | Golf Links & Tips | Say YES to the Mask. SEE BELOW
GO TO Suburban Family’s ONLINE “Salvaging Summer” Issue
– PRINT issue available in outlets throughout the Chicago suburbs and home delivery to select communities.
Best Day Trips & More
Safe Travels in Ottawa, IL
Ottawa, Illinois is surrounded by wide open spaces, open waters, and state parks. Buffalo Rock State Park has trails, live buffalo, and beautiful overlooks of the Illinois River. Dayton Bluffs Nature Preserve has trails leading you along the Fox River, to Indian Burial mounds, and through thick forestry. The Illinois river is great for watercraft and water sports alike. Plan now, and when you’re ready we’ll be here for you. www.pickusottawail.com – 815.434.2737
Sculpture in the Park
St. Charles Park District
For the love of art in the park….as summer emerges in the Fox Valley, the landscape of Mt. St. Mary Park in St. Charles presents a striking and engaging sculpture exhibition against the backdrop of nature’s seasonal beauty. Nestled among the maples, oaks, and pines of a shady arboretum and with the tranquil Fox River as its eastern border, Sculpture in the Park features 15 sculptural masterpieces made from various mediums by artists from all over the country and an array of pieces in the permanent collection. People of all ages are welcome to enjoy this magnificent free exhibit of original and unique sculpture. Whether you’re biking, strolling or picnicking, this downtown park offers something for everyone. More info: www.stcsculpture.org
The Forge: Lemont Quarries
As an innovative leader in outdoor recreation, The Forge: Lemont Quarries is a state-of-the-art adventure park designed to deliver unique year-round activities for adventurers of all ages and abilities. NOW OPEN, The Forge: Lemont Quarries is a purpose-built social enterprise that provides countless opportunities to guests to experience elevated outdoor adventure 365 days a year. Featuring a versatile and wide-ranging mix of recreational activities set amidst a stunning natural landscape, the park offers an es-cape to tranquil and interactive green space where guests can test their personal boundaries while engaging with a passionate community of like-minded outdoor enthusiasts. Check us out at www.forgeparks.com.
Suburban Family ~ July + AugustVillage of Lemont…
Zip On In, Your Adventure Awaits!
“Biggest. Tallest. Longest. Largest.” That’s what you’ll hear about Lemont these days, now home to The Forge: Lemont Quarries Adventure Park, opening in Summer, 2020. Nestled within nature, activities at The Forge include aerial challenge courses, 1,000 foot ziplines, mountain biking, rappelling, kids courses and more.
Follow up your adventure with a visit to Downtown Lemont and experience our hand-crafted charm. Settled in 1836, locally quarried limestone buildings, historic canal, and a skyline of steeples provide a picturesque setting. Enjoy the many restaurants, boutiques, and the very popular Pollyanna Brewery, all a trail’s stroll from The Forge. Our mix of dining, shops, outdoor fun, and events keep people coming back to Lemont. Visit www.LemontDowntown.com for all the latest.
Staycation and Dine Naperville
Summer has arrived in Naperville, making it the perfect time to plan a staycation/vacation. With so many restaurants, shops and attractions throughout the city, Naperville makes for a great staycation destination. Dine on the patio or indoors at one of Naperville’s fabulous restaurants. Take a walk along the scenic Riverwalk, rent a paddleboat, visit Naper Settlement or experience the trifecta of fun and excitement with TopGolf, Whirlyball and iFly. Find the ideal hotel and explore different attractions in Naperville by going to VisitNaperville.com. Discover our unique dining scene by visiting wwwDineNaperville.com. We can’t wait to welcome you to Naperville for a relaxing and fun stay.
Abbey Farms’ Summer Ramble is an opportunity to take in an excursion away from home in a friendly, safe environment. Enjoy a picnic on the lawn, our new small-bites menu on the patio, antique tractors to explore, self-guided tours across the farm, plus our seasonal farm store with vintage-style housewares, specialty food items, farmer’s market produce, our bakery – and more! We’re dog friendly — bring ‘em along! Come to Abbey Farms for your summer getaway! Located at 2855 Hart Rd., Aurora, IL. Visit www.SummerRamble.com.
Plainfield Park District
Get a copy of Scout’s Summer Fun Hunt, a map of fun places in the Plainfield Park District. Maps are available Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in the lobby of the Prairie Activity & Recreation Center, 24550 W. Renwick Rd. in Plainfield and online at www.plfdparks.org.
Summer at Cantigny Park
This summer is quieter than usual at Cantigny but the Wheaton park remains a worthy destination for a stroll in the gardens or a family picnic. Outdoor dining on the NEW garden patio is another good reason to visit. Additional attractions in the park are open or will open soon — check www.Cantigny.org before leaving home, and text PARK to 36000 to receive updates. This summer only, parking is just $5 seven days a week, and FREE on the first Wednesday of the month!
“Camp Local” with the Forest Preserve District of Kane County!
Looking for a fun staycation? Family campsites are available in two Kane County forest preserves. Paul Wolff Campground in Elgin and Big Rock Campground in Big Rock offer tent and RV camping with electric and water hook-ups. Plus, hike, fish and more. Sites range from $15 to $35 per day. Campgrounds are open through the last Sunday in October. Call 630-444-1200 or visit www.kaneforest.com for info.
Antioch’s Summer Fun
- 30 Snowmen on Display – Community Public Art Program from July to Labor Day Weekend
- Margarita Partyville – Saturdays in August. Advanced Ticket Sales
- Breakfast & Beer Walk – Select Saturdays Sept & October. Advance Ticket Sales.
Odyssey Fun World – Tinley Park
The place for out of this world family fun for all ages! OUTDOOR PARK NOW OPEN! All summer long we will offer 4 hours of Unlimited Go Karts, Mini Golf, Bumper Boats and Batting Cages for just $24.99! Tickets may be purchased in advance at odysseyfunworld.com. Indoor facility and birthday parties will be available as soon as we can safely do so, visit website or call 708-429-3800 for more info. 19111 S. Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park.
SAFARI LAND – Villa Park
Safari Land is the ultimate, INDOOR entertainment center, plus home of the largest year-round indoor roller coaster in Illinois. Open seven days a week, offering eight amusement rides, over 100 arcade games and 12 lanes of bowling. Ride wristband includes: Tilt-A-Whirl, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Monkey Jump, Soft Play Area, Max Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster & Kiddie Go-Karts. Free parking and a perfect spot for birthday parties! For more information visit www.safarilandfun.com or call 630-530-4649.
Calendar & Fitness Events…
THURSDAY, AUGUST 6
- FAMILY Outdoor Movie Night – Bring your blankets, lawn chairs for a night under the stars watching ‘Frozen 2.’ Bloomingdale Bank & Trust. 165 W. Lake St. Bloomingdaleparks.org.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 7
- FAMILY Movies in the Park – 8/7, 8/14, 8/21 and 8/28. All movies are outdoors and feature lawn seating. Bring lawn chairs or blankets and picnics are welcome. Concessions are available. Band shell at Cantigny. Wheaton. Cantigny.org.
- TOUR Frank Lloyd Wright – Fridays – Sundays. Led by an expert guide, this outdoor walking tour explores the neighborhood around Wright’s Home and Studio. Oak Park. flwright.org.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 8
- VIRTUAL RACE Illinois Lupus 1- and 3-Mile Walk. lupusil.org.
- VIRTUAL RACE Raceway Woods 19K. carpentersvillerotary.org/page/our-events.
- ADULTS Craft Beer 101 – Learn some beer history, various beer styles, tasting techniques and more. Tickets include tasting flight. Ages 21+. 11AM-12PM. St. Charles. stcparks.ticketleap.com.
MONDAY, AUGUST 10
- FAMILY Museum Maker Kits – Keep kids occupied this summer with our fun craft kits filled with a variety of creative materials. Stop by between 10AM + 2PM to pick up a free kit. Elmhurst History Museum, 120 E. Park Ave., Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11
- VIRTUAL Kickboxing – Tuesdays 7/28-8/25. Total body workout for all fitness levels. Live class on Zoom. Ages 15+. 7:05-8 PM. Naperville Park District. Napervilleparks.org.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12
- ADULTS Wine Down Wednesday – 7/8, 7/15, 7/22, 7/29, 8/5 and 8/12. The ultimate polo BYOB tailgating experience. Family friendly. Gates open at 5:30 PM. Games at 6 PM. Outside food and drinks are permitted. Tickets. Arranmore, Oswego. arranmorefarmandpoloclub.com.
- FAMILY Lemont Legends Cruise Nights – Come spend your Wednesday nights in from 6 – 9PM in Historic downtown Lemont. Themed nights and food vendors. 300 Main Street, Lemont. lemontchamber.com
- ADULTS Links Technology Cup – Enjoy a day of 18 holes of golf with cart, competition, cash, prizes and great food. 10 AM. Schaumburg Golf Course, Schaumburg. schaumburgparkfoundation.org.
- At Home Learning through the Summer + Resources
- Summer Party Safety Tips + Party Place
- 6 APPS for Fit Kids + Resources
- Dining Out
- Golf Links & Tips
- Say YES to the Mask
- DuPage Medical Group | Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Journey to Wellness | Carepower Yoga
- Alvernia Manor Senior Living | Villa St. Benedict
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS