Weekend+ for 9/10 to 9/16
WEEKEND+ for Thursday 9/10 to Wednesday 9/16
Fall Go Guide 2020 | Calendar & Fitness Events | Fest & More Fall Fun | Make a Game Plan + Active Kids Zone | Hands-On Activity for Child Development + Education Resources | Chronic Worrier? How and Why You Should Stop! + WellBeing Resources | Dining Guide
GO TO Suburban Family’s ONLINE “FALL GO Guide” Issue
– PRINT issue available in over 1000 outlets throughout the Chicago suburbs and home delivery to select communities.
Fall Go Guide 2020
Village of Lemont
. . .Zip On In, Your Adventure Awaits!
“Biggest. Tallest. Longest. Largest.” That’s what you’ll hear about Lemont these days, now home to the Forge: Lemont Quarries Adventure Park. Nestled within nature, activities at The Forge include aerial challenge courses, 1,000 foot ziplines, mountain biking, rappelling, kids courses and more. Follow up your adventure with a visit to Downtown Lemont and experience our hand-crafted charm. Settled in 1836, locally quarried limestone buildings, historic canal, and a skyline of steeples provide a picturesque setting. Enjoy the many restaurants, boutiques, and the very popular Pollyanna Brewery, all a trail’s stroll from The Forge. Our mix of dining, shops, outdoor fun, and events keep people coming back to Lemont. Visit www.LemontDowntown.com for all the latest.
Lincoln Park Zoo
Fall into the season, and the wonderful world of animals, at Lincoln Park Zoo. Stroll the one-way trail and cherish the sights and smells of autumn without the crowds—the perfect setting to learn about wildlife while keeping your family safe. Along the way, sip festive drinks, enjoy seasonal treats, and browse the Gift Shop! To book your free visit, head to www.lpzoo.org/visit.
Arlington Heights is Open for Business
The Village of Arlington Heights is open for business, offering an abundance of opportunities to shop, dine, and play! Discover our unique Downtown ambiance with some of the most unique and eclectic boutique stores in the Chicago suburbs. Live music, theater, and comedy are all showcased at the intimate Metropolis Performing Arts Centre. And savor Chicagoland’s best outdoor dining atmosphere with Arlington Alfresco! Your table awaits you now through November 2 with over 30 Downtown restaurants and eateries, and over 100 more throughout the community. For more great experiences, visit www.DiscoverArlington.com.
Celebrate Fall at Abbey Farms Pumpkin Daze and create memories for families and friends of all ages. Abbey Farms offers safe fun on a huge farm with outdoor attractions that let you disconnect from the digital world. Explore Kane County’s largest corn maze, our weekend petting zoo, or relax on our expanded hayride. Enjoy the weekend craft beer & wine tent with live music, or the bakery and our fresh-made donuts! Pick out a pumpkin before leaving, and shop at our farm store for more fall flavors and decor. Join us Sept. 19 to Nov. 1. Visit www.abbeyfarms.org for more details!
Pick your own memories at Apple Holler orchard and family farm offering pick your own apples, pears, and pumpkins. Also, various food and drink items available for purchase at the walk-up windows of our outdoor Orchard Market and Café, cider donut drive thru and outdoor applewood grill. Visitors will enjoy four seasons of family fun! Apple Holler is located between Racine and Kenosha, WI, right off of I-94 at Exit 337, simply follow the signs to the FUN! (5006 S. Sylvania Ave. Sturtevant, WI 53177) Call (262) 884-7100 or visit www.appleholler.com for further information.
The Forge: Lemont Quarries
As an innovative leader in outdoor recreation, The Forge: Lemont Quarries is a state-of-the-art adventure park designed to deliver unique year-round outdoor activities for adventurers of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Set amidst a stunning natural landscape and featuring a versatile and wide-ranging mix of activities designed to Exhilarate, Educate, and Entertain, The Forge offers an escape to an unforgettable interactive green space while providing countless opportunities for guests of all ages to experience elevated outdoor adventure 365 days a year. Learn more at www.forgeparks.com.
Richardson Adventure Farm
The Richardson Adventure Farm in Spring Grove, IL offers a variety of experiences for all ages. Sure, we have the “world’s largest, most intricate” corn maze, but we have so much more! Train & Carousel Rides, Slides & Pedal Carts, Pig Races & Petting Zoo, Fresh Donuts & Kettle Corn, Pumpkins, Picnic Area & Campfires, 700’ Zip Line, and Plenty Of Wide Open Spaces! Thursdays through Sundays from September 12th to November 8th plus Columbus Day. Activities that the whole family can enjoy! www.RichardsonAdventureFarm.com .
Whether you’re planning your next date night, work outing or family gathering, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! Choose from a variety of activities including WhirlyBall, LaserTag, HyperBowling and bowling. Enjoy delicious food, craft beer and signature cocktails at The Pivot Room, open for lunch and dinner daily. Reserve your space today! www.whirlyball.com WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800
Odyssey Fun Farm
Odyssey Fun World in Tinley Park presents Odyssey Fun Farm, just down the street! Amazing attractions include the 2020 “Mamba Out” Kobe Tribute Corn Maize, Containment ‘Z’ Shooting Gallery, corn cannons, petting zoo, hayrides, rope maze and so much more. Fun for the whole family! The Farm will be open for FUN from 10am – 6pm starting 9/26 – 10/31! www.odysseyfunfarm.com Located at 18900 S. Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park. 708-429-3800.
Naper Settlement’s beautiful 13-acre campus provides a one-of-a-kind learning experience for all ages! From guided tours to the Women: Waves of Change exhibit, there is plenty to see and do at Naper Settlement this fall. Museum admission is $5 per person, and Naper Settlement members, Naperville residents, and children under 4 are free. Visit www.NaperSettlement.org for more details.
Escape the Barn
St. Charles Park District
While on the farm, add Escape the Barn to your night. Modeled after “escape room” venues, this popular event is back to challenge those who dare to solve the mystery. Groups of 3-8 people, at least 11 years old, will be “locked” into the dairy barn for 45 minutes to solve a series of interactive challenges to find the culprit behind the crimes. Advance registration is required. Purchase tickets: www.primrosefarmpark.com.
Lyman Woods Nature Programs
Downers Grove Park District
Nature programs at Lyman Woods offer outdoor adventures to explorers of all ages! While socially distancing and getting some fresh air, kids can enjoy programs such as outdoor cooking, fort building, campouts, gardening, scavenger hunts and more. For adults, Lyman Woods offers beekeeping workshops, gardening classes and handmade nature craft programs. Looking for a unique date night? Join our Wild Nights Out for Adults featuring a nighttime hike, smore’s and a campfire. 901 31st Street, Downers Grove. 630.963.9388. www.lymanwoods.org. Learn more and register at www.dgparks.org.
Autumn at Cantigny Park
Check www.Cantigny.org for the park’s current event schedule, which includes in-person and online opportunities. The beautiful gardens and most areas of the park are now open following a multi-year renovation project. The all-new Rock Garden and Fountain Garden are especially popular, along with the farm-themed playground and picnic area. Text PARK to 36000 to receive updates. Parking is just $5 seven days a week, and FREE on the first Wednesday of the month. www.cantigny.org.
Staycation and Dine Naperville
Soon, the leaves will begin to change, and the weather will be a bit cooler; however, fall is a great time to visit Naperville. With so many indoor and outdoor attractions, Naperville is perfect for a warm or cool fall day. Stay in one of Naperville’s 17 wonderful hotels, and when it’s time to eat, check out the over 300 restaurants in our city. For additional information, head to VisitNaperville.com and DineNaperville.com.
Taste Local Flavors in Ottawa, IL
Local foods, flavor and flair! Indulge as we celebrate local, September 5 – 13th, with farmers and restaurateurs alike! Each location is offering special dishes made with local produce, meat, dairy, and honey from our area farmers. Try a dish or two at multiple locations throughout Ottawa, and expand your flavor profile. Outdoor dining and carry outs are available. Participating locations: Burger and Sushi House, Iniga Pizzeria Napoletana, Lone Buffalo, and Pine Hills. Visit pickusottawail.com for more information or call the Ottawa Visitors Center at 815-257-6807.
Calendar & Fitness Events…
Due to Covid-19, event information is subject to change without notice. Therefore, we encourage you to call ahead and confirm – and be certain to tell ‘em you saw it in Suburban Family Magazine!
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 10
- FAMILY Car Cruise Night – 9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24. Classic cars, food trucks, music and family fun! 5PM-8PM. Konow’s. Homer Glen. konowscornmaze.com.
FOR MORE EVENTS SEE FALL GO GUIDE + FESTS & MORE FALL FUN + HALLOWEEN HAPPENINGS
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
- FAMILY Night at the Movies – Watch Captain Marvel outdoors on a big screen at 95th Street Community Plaza. 7:30 PM. Naperville. napervilleparks.org.
- EXHIBIT Wright Before the “Lloyd”, 9/8-1/3/2021. Features images and artifacts that portray the eclectic, early explorations of one of the world’s greatest architects. Elmhurst Art Museum. elmhurstartmuseum.org.
- EXHIBIT Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art –Museum is open from Noon to 4 PM Tuesday – Sunday. Fossils, Mosaics, Gemstones and more. Make your reservation today. Oak Brook. lizzadromuseum.org.
- EXHIBIT The Great Midwestern Road Trip – thru 10/11. Pack up the station wagon and take a nostalgia-fueled journey exploring the history of the classic Midwest summer vacation after World War II through the 1970s. Reservations. Elmhurst History Museum. Elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Kohl Kids Live – Guests can enjoy literacy, art, science, fitness and theatre activities. 90-minute sessions, groups 10 or less. 2-acre outdoor Habitat Park. Kohls Children’s Museum. Glenview. kcmgc.org/kohl-kids-live.
- FAMILY Dinos Everywhere – Amazing life-like animatronics located throughout the park. Brookfield Zoo. Schedule visit at czs.org/dinoseverywhere.
- OUTDOORS Nature Hikes – Explore Fullersburg Woods on a casual 45-minute walk with an experienced naturalist. Walks leave at the top of the hour. All ages; under 18 with an adult. Oak Brook. dupageforest.org.
- TOUR Wheaton Architectural Walking Tours – Tour with up to eight of your friends and a personal guide discussing the historic buildings and history of the city. Tour is 60 minutes and 1.5 miles. To plan a tour, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your date and time. DuPage County Historical Museum. dupagemuseum.org.
- TOUR Old Joliet Prison “Historical Tour” – 1.5 hour walking tour of the Old Joliet Prison lead by docents and trained tour guides from the Joliet Area Historical Museum. This tour talks about the general history of the prison from when it was first opened in 1858 to present day. Ages 10+. Joliet. jolietmuseum.org.
- TOUR Frank Lloyd Wright – Fridays-Sundays. Led by an expert guide, this outdoor walking tour explores the neighborhood around Wright’s Home and Studio. Oak Park. flwright.org.
- CHICAGO/CITY Modern by Design – Through Jan 3, 2021. Featuring nearly 300 objects, photographs, and printed materials dating from the 1930s to 1950s including Radio Flyer wagons, Sunbeam appliances, and Farmall tractors. Chicago History Museum. Chicagohistory.org.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 12
- ADULT Arlington Amateur Championship – 36-hole golf championship. Open to 18+. 2 Days of Golf, Lunch each day and great tee gift! 7 AM – 4 PM. Arlington Lakes Golf Club, Arlington Heights. ahpd.org.
- FUNDRAISER Over the Edge – Rappel down the side of the Hotel Arista In Naperville to raise funds for military families. Naperville. osotamerica.org.
- CONTEST Jeric’s Skate Contest– Skateboards can showcase their best kickflips, grinds, ollies, and other maneuvers for judges and spectators. Ages 8+. Noon to 4PM. Gregory B. Bott Park, Plainfield. plfdparks.org.
- TOUR Garden Tours – 9/12 and 10/10. Join fellow nature lovers for a guided tour of Lincoln Park Zoo’s diverse plant life and ecosystems. 10-11 AM. Free for all ages. Lincoln Park Zoo. lpzoo.org.
- CHICAGO/CITY Night at the Zoo – 9/12. Enjoy beer and wine, food for purchase, DJ entertainment, games, giveaways, and more. Ages 21+ Tickets. 6:30-11:00 PM. Lincoln Park Zoo. lpzoo.org.
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Mutt Strut 5K. Dekalb. TailsHumaneSociety.org
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Here for LIFE Walk. Saint Charles. spsamerica.org
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Run Your Mutt Off 5K. Naperville. naperhumane.org
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Canines-N-Kids’ Two by Four Race. caninesnkids.org/two-by-four-race.html
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
- ADULTS Tasting and Tunes – 9/6, 9/13, 9/20, 9/27 and 10/4, 10/11, 10/18. Wines by the glass & bottle and Wine Flights will be available all day. Leashed four legged friends always welcomed! Galena Cellars. Geneva. galenacellars.com.
- OUTDOORS Plant Giveaway – Wed – Sun through 10/4. Stop by the Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden to pot up a featured plant seedling or seed to grow at home. 11AM – 4PM. Chicago Botanic, Glencoe. Chicagobotanic.org.
- SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
- FITNESS EVENT 5th Annual Bike for the Kids. Elgin. eastersealsdfvr.org/bikeforthekids
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Walk to End Alzheimer’s 5K Run/Walk. Naperville. act.alz.org.
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
- FUNDRAISER – Golftoberfest – Golf outing fundraiser to benefit Tri City Family Services. 8:00 AM. Prairie Landing Golf Club. West Chicago, tricityfamilyservices.org.
- VIRTUAL FITNESS EVENT Wrigley 5K Charity Run will now be held virtually this year, with runners having the option to complete a virtual 3.1 mile (5K) run anytime from Monday, Sept. 14-Sunday, Sept. 20. www.racetowrigley.com.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
- FAMILY – Car Fun on 21 – Classic Car Show features vintage cars, trucks and motorcycles, 25 years or older, along Church and Cook Streets in downtown Libertyville. Live music. 6-9PM. mainstreetlibertyville.org.
- EXHIBIT Remarkable Women of the LaGrange Area: A Century of Fashion, Passion and Progress – Wednesdays thru September. 9:30 – Noon. LaGrange Historical Society. lagrangehistory.org.
- Fest & More Fall Fun
- Halloween Happenings (to come)
- Boo-It-Yourself Halloween Fun + Party Places (to come)
- Make a Game Plan + Active Kids Zone
- Hands-On Activity for Child Development + Education Resources
- Chronic Worrier? How and Why You Should Stop! + WellBeing Resources
- Dining Guide
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS