YOUR WEEKEND+ for 12/13 to 12/19
YOUR WEEKEND+ for Dec. 13th to Dec. 19th
(Thursday though next Wednesday)
Here are loads of terrific things to do in the upcoming week…from Suburban Family’s extensive database of local events and activities.
‘TIS THIS WEEKEND’S BEST EVENTS…
Looking for something fun and festive to do for the holiday season? Check out these special attractions and events!
Lincoln Park Zoo: ZooLights
Presented By ComEd and Invesco QQQ
Select dates from now to Jan. 6 4:30-9 p.m. The most wonderful time of year deserves the most wonderful type of event. The one-of-a-kind experience offers fun, free, family-oriented holiday celebrations that feature luminous displays and seasonal activities…all under the glow of 2.5 million lights! Incredible 3D displays. Warm spiced wine, frosty beers and festive snacks. Holiday gift shopping. Live ice-sculpture carving (select nights). Musical light shows at the Winter Wonderlawn. For more information visit www.lpzoo.org/zoolights.
Ben’s Christmas Tree Farm
This year, treat your whole family to a wonderful day at Ben’s Christmas Tree Farm! Take in the sights as horse-drawn wagons ferry you into nine varieties of sustainably grown trees spread across the 50 acre farm. Once you have found your perfect tree, enjoy free hot cocoa in the warming barn, or visit the farm animals. Ben’s will retrieve, shake, and wrap your tree, and will even tie your tree to your vehicle, leaving you to enjoy a day in the country. Leashed pets welcome. Open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays 9am-4pm, Now thru Christmas. Trees $6.25 to $9.25 /ft., most activities Free! See Benstreefarm.com for details.
Kohl Children’s Museum
Seventeen interactive hands-on exhibits to spark curiosity and inspire a love of learning for children ages birth to 8. Through January 13, walk into your favorite children’s books in Storyland, featuring Peter Rabbit, The Snowy Day, Abuela, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and more! Also, don’t miss our New Year’s Eve Bash – tickets on sale soon. 2100 Patriot Blvd., Glenview. 847-832-6600. kcmgc.org.
Golf Center Des Plaines
Our lighted, heated, 80-bay Driving Range features automatic ball tee-up and a 300-yard targeted landing area. The unique 1-1/2 acre Short Game Practice Area, where you can practice chip shots from up to 60 yards out, includes three bunkers and multiple greens. Money-saving Unlimited Annual Memberships make great gifts. 353 N. River Road, Des Plaines. For more info, call 847-803-GOLF or visit www.GolfCenterDesPlaines.com. Open year-round.
Santa’s Village Amusement Park
The 2018 Magical Christmas Season at Santa’s Village promises something for everyone! From the moment you pass through the front gates, it is apparent that Santa’s Village is a special place for creating new holiday memories. With 23 rides, animals, shows, games, and all your favorite fun foods you’re bound to have a magical time. From Picnics to Parties, toddlers to tweens, and thrill seekers to party goers … Santa’s Village is the perfect place for a day of play for your next family or group outing. Visit Santasvillagedundee.com for further details. Located at 601 E. Dundee Ave., East Dundee
Kuipers Family Farm
Visit the farm for a huge selection of freshly harvested Pine and Fir trees. Includes shaking, baling and one of our famous apple cider donuts for everyone in your party. Browse The Orchard Shop & Bakery for great gift ideas, gourmet foods, pies, fudge, apple cider and so much more! Located in Maple Park, IL just 45 minutes west of Chicago. Visit www.kuipersfamilyfarm.com or call 815-827-5200 for more information.
Westmont Park District
Don’t miss our Snow-Much Fun Night on December 15 with sled dogs, games, crafts, Santa’s Workshop, s’mores and more! For a complete list of Holly Days activities, please visit www.hollydaysfestival.com or by calling 630.963.5252.
Village of Arlington Heights
The Holiday Season is Wonderful in Arlington Heights! Arlington Heights is the perfect holiday destination for your family. Come out and shop at independent and national retailers in our award-winning Downtown. With great shopping, entertainment, and events, Arlington Heights is the place to be this holiday season! For more information, please visit www.DiscoverArlington.com!
12th Annual Festival of Lights
Presented by the Aurora Noon Rotary Club
Enjoy the magic of the 2018 Festival of Lights. Featuring a 20’ tall Dancing Christmas Tree & SINGING Reindeer. This is the largest FREE outdoor holiday light displays in Northern Illinois and is presented by the Aurora Noon Rotary Club in partnership with the City of Aurora. It is a mile long drive-through of spectacular displays. Staged at Phillips Park, 1000 Ray Moses Drive, Aurora. Open nightly 5 to 9; (5 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday); Now through Dec. 26. Freewill donations appreciated. www.aurorafestivaloflights.com.
Lombard Park District
Join the Lombard Park District’s annual lighting celebration in Lilacia Park! Activities include a visit with Santa and the Gold Medal Express train. Friday to Sundays, December now to 12/23. Charming holiday displays light up Lilacia Park with a magical array of animated light shows, decorated trees, a giant gingerbread house, and much more. Youngsters can visit with Santa Claus, ride the delightful Gold Medal Express train, visit with their favorite holiday characters, and enjoy a spectacular show with complimentary hot cocoa and cookies. www.lombardparks.com. 630-620-7322.
Chicago Steel Hockey Team
Join the Chicago Steel Hockey Team for fast-paced family fun at the Fox Valley Ice Arena in Geneva and see the future stars of college and pro hockey! Home games: 12/29 (mascot bobblehead giveaway & post-game skate). Tickets start at just $10; sit on the glass for only $20. Plus, parking is always free! Check out the full promotional schedule and purchase tickets at ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
…where kids ski free!
One of the most popular ski resorts in the Midwest is Cascade Mountain. Located on Interstate 90/94 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells, Cascade is a large area with 47 ski trails, 12 lifts and 15 lanes of snow tubing. A $9 million dollar project included two new lifts, nine new trails, additional snowmaking, an expanded main lodge, paved parking and base area improvements. The Wisconsin Dells is just 15 minutes away from Cascade, and the city of Portage is even closer. Families with children save a bundle at Cascade Mountain because kids 12 and under ski free when accompanied by a paying adult. For more information, go to www.cascademountain.com.
Aboard Spirit, Winter’s Never Looked Better
Did you know that Spirit of Chicago cruises all year long? And aboard the cozy, festive decks, you’ll see a whole new side of winter. Bring your family aboard to see magical, winter views of classic Chicago sites like Buckingham Fountain, the Adler Planetarium, Trump Tower, Willis Tower and more! Your cruise will include a delicious buffet-style meal and DJ entertainment. For the highlight of your holidays, plan your cruise at SpiritofChicago.com.
Start Your Holiday Season at Abbey Farms! Searching for an old-fashioned treat to bring to your holiday gatherings this year? The Farmstead Emporium offers a wide variety of time-tested flavors for your seasonal cooking at home. Christmas trees and wreaths are available now! Enjoy a free apple cider donut when you purchase your tree – and ask about our tree delivery service! For more info, visit AbbeyFarms.org!
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink is a family owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Oak Brook Park District
Party and Event Services
From all-inclusive, year-round pool parties to quaint weddings, Oak Brook Park District’s award-winning facilities and staff are here to make sure your next event is a hit. Please contact Katie or Carmen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-645-9554 and ask how we can help you plan your next birthday party, formal event, family reunion, or shower! www.obparks.org.
Let Your Adventure Begin! Safari Land has everything you need for a complete adventure. Whether it’s bowling, video games, rollercoaster, kiddie carts, food or other fun, Safari Land is the place for your party. Come ride the tiger terror…take a spin in our 360 degree, full-motion, 3D flight simulator, play in our soft play area, or throw some strikes during cosmic bowling. Buy a wristband for only $10 (see details on ad). Contact us to book your next adventure of a lifetime. 701 W. North Avenue, Villa Park. 630-530-4649. Visit www.safarilandfun.com.
“It’s a Wonderful Life” – Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
Adapted by Doug Rand from the screenplay by Frances Goodrich, Albert Hackett, Frank Capra and Jo Swerling. Now until December 15, 2018. George Bailey, a building and loan banker, sacrifices his dreams to help his community, to the point where he feels life has passed him by. Due to a cruel business rival’s manipulations, Bailey falls into despair so deep that he contemplates suicide, until his guardian angel, Clarence Odbody, gives him a valuable new perspective on the worth of his life. It’s an endearing classic holiday presentation you won’t want to miss. Performing at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah, Illinois. For tickets call 630.634.2100 or visit our website at overshadowed.org.
“Home for the Holidays” – Rialto Square Theatre
Home for the Holidays at the Rialto Square Theatre in Joliet, presented by ComEd, is a month long celebration of the season with sixteen opportunities to enjoy holiday entertainment and build your own family traditions at the beautiful Rialto Square Theatre. Home for the Holidays has something for the entire family! The festivities with events and activities run through Saturday, December 20th. It includes entertainment options for the whole family with holiday shows, concerts, social gatherings, movies and special events throughout the holiday season. Visit www.rialtosquare.com/holidays for a complete listing of our holiday themed shows.
- The Tenors, Home for the Holidays – December 14 @ 8:00PM
- Big Bad V0odoo Daddy, Wild and Swingin’ Holiday Party – December 15 @ 8:00PM
- 98° At Christmas – December 20 @ 7:30PM
HOLIDAY MOVIES – All Seats $5
- The Muppet Christmas Carol – December 16 @ 3:00PM
Holiday Show Schedule – The Genesee Theatre
The Spotlight is Closer than you think! The historical Genesee Theatre hosts concerts, variety shows, comedy, and other events. Visit our website today to see our full line-up and get tickets today. Don’t forget to sign up for our email list! Visit GeneseeTheatre.com for more information. 203 N. Genesee Street, Waukegan, IL 60085.
HOLIDAY STAGE SCHEDULE…
- Michael McDonald “Minute by Minute” – December 15 @ 8:00PM
“19th annual Presto! Holiday Concert” – Al Larson Prairie Center for the Arts
Classical and popular music of the season is performed by the award-winning Schaumburg Youth Symphony Orchestra at its 19th annual Presto! Holiday Concerton Saturday, December 15 at 3pm and 7pm. The Schaumburg Youth Choir joins the program, performing carols with the orchestra. For tickets, visit prairiecenter.org or call 847-895-3600. The Prairie Center is located at 201 Schaumburg Ct., in Schaumburg.
Whether you’re a senior in need of healthcare or a loved one trying to help with the decision, weighing your options and making the right decision can seem daunting. We hope the information in this section will help guide you along the way.
- Heritage Woods -Heritage Woods of Bolingbrook, Plainfield & So. Elgin and Lacey Creek in Downers Grove
- Terra Vista of Oakbrook Terrace
- Artis Senior Living of Bartlett
- Villa St. Benedict…A Community with a History, Lisle
- Midwestern University Eye Institutegrams
- The Law Offices of Cindy K. Campbell
- DuPage Medical Group, Medicare Advantage
- Alvernia Manor, Lemont
- Cedarhurst of Naperville/Woodridge and Yorkville
- Foot & Ankle Wellness Center, Woodridge
THIS WEEK’S GREATER CHICAGO EVENTS…includes HOLIDAY HAPPENINGS
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14
- HOLIDAY Ugly Sweater Holiday Party – 12/14. Have an evening of holiday fun decorating a sweater you supply with pom-poms, sequins, and feathers, play holiday games and decorate holiday cookies. Ages 11-15 years. 6 – 8 PM, Itasca Park District.itascaparkdistrict.com.
- CHICAGO/ CITY Caroling at the Cloud Gate – Each Friday…November 23-December 14. Bundle up and belt out some holiday classics as local Chicago choral groups lead hundreds of celebrants in song. 6-7 PM. Chicago. 312-744-3316. millenniumpark.org.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15
- HOLIDAY Holiday Crafts – 12/15. Drop in with your family to create a small holiday wreath, holiday placemat, or craft to spruce up your home over the holidays. 1- 3 PM. DuPage County Historical Museum. Register (630) 510-4941. wheatonparkdistrict.com.
- HOLIDAY Holiday Shopping – 12/15. SEASPAR (South East Association for Special Parks and Recreation) Selecting the perfect gift can be tricky, but SEASPAR is here to help with staff to assist with money transactions and asking for assistance. Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg. 630-960-7600. seaspar.org.
- HOLIDAY Holiday Stroll and Open House – 12/15. Enjoy the park at its lighted holiday best. See the Great Holiday Tank Bake-Off and the annual Community Tree Display and self-guided tours of museums with plenty of festive photo opportunities. 4-7 PM. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. 630-668-5161. www.cantigny.org.
- FAMILY Snowflake Swim – The Pavilion Aquatics Center will transform into the North swimming, holiday games & prizes, Tie-Dye snowflake swim T-shirt Station. All ages with a parent. 1-3 PM. Elk Grove Village Park District. elkgroveparks.org.
- CHICAGO/ CITY Christmas Around The World and Holidays of Light – Thrugh January 6. Since 1942 Chicagoans and visitors alike have enjoyed fabulous trees from over 50 countries, plus spectacular lights all in the comfort of the museum. Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. 773-684-1414. msichicago.org.
- CHICAGO/ CITY Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon – Opens mid November. Among the “alpine in a city,” lace up your skates and enjoy an ice skating experience unlike any other on a path of ice winding through the rolling landscape. Chicago. 312-744-3316. maggiedaleypark.com.
- CHICAGO/ CITY 104th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting – November 16-January 1. Enjoy this holiday tradition, a glittering tree set among Chicago’s sparkling skyline and the iconic art of Millennium Park. 6 PM. Chicago. 312-744-3316. millenniumpark.org.
- CHICAGO/ CITY Christkindlmarket Chicago – November 16 – December 24. A unique open-air shopping experience with traditional German flair offering food, drinks and diverse holiday entertainment. Downton and Wrigleyville locations. Chicago. christkindlemarket.com.
- CHICAGO/ CITY McCormick Tribune Ice Rink – November 16 – mid March. Lessons and special programming weekends and during the Chicago Public Schools’ winter break. Skate rentals available. Chicago. 312-744-3316. millenniumpark.org.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19
- FAMILY Parent’s Night Out – Finish shopping sans children, let them have a night of games, activities and pizza. Recreation Center, Romeoville. Romeoville Park District. 815-886-6222. romeoville.org.
- EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT
- ACTIVE KIDS ZONE
- PARTY ADVICE BY THE PROS
- SUPERB PICKS FOR DINING OUT
- SPECIAL OFFERS THIS ISSUE
Click above for Special Offerings from this issue’s sponsors.
For more visit … http//www.chicagosuburbanfamily.com