YOUR WEEKEND+ for 3/8 to 3/14
YOUR WEEKEND+ for March 8 to March 14
(Thursday through next Wednesday)
Here is this week’s “YOUR WEEKEND+” which highlights our full database of events and activities for the upcoming seven day period with special focus on this weekend.
The new issue of Chicago Suburban Family is here – March + April 2018 – Summer Camps, 2018 Fitness Events and Springtime Fun!
Here are a great variety of indoor and outdoor activities to keep the whole family during these (hopefully) last few days of winter…
Creek Bend Nature Center
Maple Sugaring Days: March 3-4
Join us on a guided hike through the preserve. Sample pure, local syrup. Plus, check-out interactive exhibits inside Creek Bend Nature Center. Bring the whole family for this fun, FREE program. Creek Bend Nature Center is located within LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve at 37W700 Dean St., St. Charles. See www.kaneforest.com or call 630-444-3190.
Kohl Children’s Museum
Visit our Animal Secrets exhibit to discover the mysteries of animal habitats, including meadows, woodlands, and caves. Opens March 20th. Kohl Children’s Museum offers a menagerie of activities this spring, including our Habitat Park Egg Hunt on Sat, Mar 31 from 10 – 2 (weather permitting) and special Earth Day activities on Sun, April 22. Great for toddlers through age 8! Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd., Glenview. 847-832-6600. www.kcmgc.org .
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957). is a family owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com .
Bartlett Park District
Bartlett Aquatic Center
Outdoor Water Park
2017 Platinum International Aquatic Safety Award by Jeff Ellis and Associates for exceeding industry standards in risk management and epitomizing aquatic safety excellence.Take a wild ride at the Bartlett Aquatic Center and experience a New Way to Play! Amenities include an eight-lane lap pool with a zero-depth entry section, tube slide, lazy river, aquatic zip line, drop slide, two body slides, and spray playground, a sand-play area, and a concessions area. Available for private rentals, group outings and birthday parties. 620 W. Stearns Rd., Bartlett, IL 60103. For hours of operation and more information call 630.540.4800 or visit www.bartlettparks.org
Hoffman Estates Park District
Triphahn Ice Arena
The Hoffman Estates Park District’s ice programs are known as one of the finest in the Chicago area. The Triphahn Ice Arena is a premier regional ice facility. This state of the arena offers two NHL sized sheets of ice, which are used for our Figure Skating Academy and Wolf Pack Hockey program, as well as home to the Chicago Wolves Hockey Team. For more information, visit heparks.org or call 847-885-7500.
FITNESS / RACE EVENTS…
- Kilted 5K – Sat 3/10 at 8:30 AM 5K Run/Walk. Benefits the F.I.S.H. Food Pantry and Friends of the Fox. East Dundee. 847-426-7300.
- St. Paddy’s Day 5K – Sat 3/10 at 8 AM 5K Run/Walk. Benefits Rotary projects and charities. Naperville. stpaddysday5k.org.
- Advocate Good Shepherd Indoor Triathlon – Sun 3/11 at 8 AM. 10 min Swim, 20 min Bike, 15 min run. Barrington. 847-620-4500.
- Fight for Air Climb – Sun 3/11 at 7 AM. 180 floors and 2,340 steps. Benefits the American Lung Association. Presidential Towers, Chicago. 312-940-8004.
- St. Pat’s Day 5K and 1 MIle Pet Walk – Sun 3/11 at 9 AM. Benefits Anderson Animal Shelter. South Elgin. andersonanimalshelter.org.
- Together WeTri Indoor Triathlon – Sun 3/11 at 7 AM. 10 min swim, 20 min bike and 15 min Run. Benefits Juvenile Diabetes Research. Glenview. togetherwetri.com.
- Pi Day “Pi K” Fun Run/Walk – Wed 3/14 at 6 PM. Sponsored by Illinois Science Council and Fleet Street Sports. Lincoln Square, Oak Park and Old Town, Chicago. evenbrite.com.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
April 6 – 21, 2018.
Adapted by Marc Robin from the Brothers Grimm’s fairy tale. In a kingdom far away, the vengeful sorceress Magenta has placed a wicked curse on the beautiful Princess Amber and only a true love’s kiss can unlock the spell and wake her before it is too late. Prince Hunter must battle dragons, scale mountains, and sail the dark sea to save Princess Amber. Will his journey allow him to make it in time to prove his love to his Sleeping Beauty? This captivating fairy tale creates excitement and thrill for its audience as they root for Prince Hunter and the fate of the beautiful princess! Filled with unconventional personalities, broken rules, and quests aplenty, this colorful, musical fairy tale is great for children of all ages! Make it a truly special activity for your family and include the Sleepy Beauty Character Breakfast on April 21st! Know of a school group that might want to attend? Ask about our school day performances on April 20th. For tickets call 630.634.2100 or visit the website at www.overshadowed.org .
Rialto Square Theatre
The Rialto Square Theatre, the Jewel of Joliet, presents a wide variety of fun family shows, top concerts, comedy, theater, and other great performing arts shows. The nearly 100-year old venue is one of the top 100 destinations in Illinois and has been listed by many media outlets as one of the ten most beautiful theaters in the country. Its live acoustics are outstanding, making for great live experiences. The 2018 calendar is quickly filling up with an outstanding line-up of shows across all genres of music, theater, comedy and family including such acts as The Manhattan Transfer, Buddy Guy, Lewis Black, Los Lobos, Daughtry, Jim Jeffries, Decades Rewind, Sara Evans, and more! Located in the heart of downtown Joliet, the Rialto Square Theatre is easy to access from all major southwest suburb highways. Tickets for all Rialto Square Theatre shows can be purchased at www.RialtoSquare.com .
2018 “Stars on Ice” Tour
Every four years, the Winter Olympics not only give us a chance to celebrate and revel in our favorite athletes, but also to discover some incredible new breakout stars. The 2018 Stars on Ice tour will feature many of the skaters who were vying for a medal for the U.S. in the 2018 Winter Olympics. The Tour will arrive in Rosemont, IL on Sunday, April 29 for a 4:00 PM performance at the Allstate Arena. This year’s Stars on Ice tour will put American fans front and center to experience the best of the U.S. Figure Skating team that competed in Pyeongchang, South Korea. Tickets are now on sale starting at $25 and are available at www.starsonice.com, www.ticketmaster.com, the Allstate Arena Box Office, select retail locations, and by phone at 1-800-745-3000. Limited on-ice seating is available upon request. Group discounts are available for parties of 10 or more. Please visit www.starsonice.com for the most up to date information and show announcements.
GREATER CHICAGO EVENTS…
THURSDAY, MARCH 8
- ADULTS Fundraiser – Event will support basic science cancer research studied at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University. Celebrity hosts, 6:30 PM. LaGrange Theatre, LaGrange. hfoundation.org/comedyforcancer.
FRIDAY, MARCH 9
- KIDS Night Out – Fun activities for kids while parents have a night out. Ages K-Grade 2 will play games and do crafts; Grades 3-6 will play organized games in gym. 6-8:30 PM. Pottawatomie Community Center, St. Charles Park Park District. 630-513-6200.
SATURDAY, MARCH 10
- FAMILY Hike and Fire – “Full Moon Campfire Hike: Snow Moon” explores the seasonal changes tied to the moon on a guided night hike, viewing moon through telescope, campfire and s’mores. All ages. 6:30-8 PM. Downers Grove Park District. Register dgparks.org. 630-960-7500.
- FAMILY Living History – Actor portrayal of Amelia Earhart, the first female aviator to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a plane, and the first to fly solo. Ages 10 and up. 3 PM. McCormick House, Cantigny Park, Wheaton. Register 630-260-8162.
- TEENS Minecraft Build-Off – Participants will compete to see who can build the most creative structure. Prizes for winners, pizza and refreshments for all. Ages 11-19. 6-9 PM. St. Charles Park District. 630-513-6200.
FAMILY Open House –3/10, 4/4 and 4/7. Stop by Kiddie Academy to get a closer look at our amazing program, designed for ages 6 weeks – 5 years. For specific times or to schedule a personalized tour, visit kiddieacademychicago.com.
SUNDAY, MARCH 11
- FAMILY Animal Encounters: Bunny Hop – Learn about the bunnies that call Red Oak Nature Center their home. Ages 3 and up with adult. 1-3 PM. Nominal registration fee goes towards helping take care of the animals. Fox Valley Park District. 630-897-1808.
- FAMILY Fitness – “Fit-Nut-Fest” includes fitness and nutrition activities, demos, health advice, screenings, recipes, prizes and exhibits. 9-11:30 AM. Carol Stream Park District. csparks.org.
MONDAY, MARCH 12
- TEENS Service Project – “Feed My Starving Children” is a non-profit organization will hand-pack meals to send to malnourished children. Ages 12-17. 5:15-8 PM. Departs from Lisle Park District Building, sponsored by Downers Grove Park District. Register dgparks.org. 630-960-7500.
TUESDAY, MARCH 13
- FAMILY Shamrock Shuffle/Kid Rock – Celebrate St. Patty’s Day with your little one with shamrocks, rainbows and pots of gold while participating in musical activities and imaginative play. 10-10:45 AM. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. Register rockitkids.com.
- FAMILY Tunes and Tales – Nature story time with music. Explore nature sounds through music and movement, play instruments and sing. Ages 2-4. Adult caregiver must attend. 9:30-10:30 AM. Downers Grove Park District. Register dgparks.org. 630-960-7500.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14
- ADULTS Workshop – Artist-led paste paper demo/workshop for various projects using a mix of surfaces, paint, materials and subject. 7 PM. Bloomingdale Park District Museum. 630-624-9545.
- TEENS Chess Tournament – Take part in this friendly competition. Players will challenge each other in single elimination tournament to see who is the grandmaster. Ages 11-19. 6-9 PM. St. Charles Park District. Register 630-513-6200.
Special offerings from this issue’s sponsors.
For more visit … http//www.chicagosuburbanfamily.com