YOUR WEEKEND+ for 5/10 to 5/16
YOUR WEEKEND+ for May 10 to May 16
(Thursday through next Wednesday)
Here are this week’s highlights from Chicago Suburban Family’s “Summer Planner” (May / June issue) … with updates! Enjoy SF’s extensive database of events and activities for the upcoming seven day period with special focus on this weekend.
OUT AND ABOUT…
Mid-Continent Railway Museum
Take a step back in time! Climb aboard for a 55-minute round-trip train ride in historic railcars. Browse the museum filled with dozens of restored railcars and steam locomotives from the late 1800s and early 1900s and museum gift shop inside an 1894 depot.
Check out the ”Pizza Train” and “Mother Day Brunch Train” … just click on Learn More below, or go to bottom of this email.
Kohl Children’s Museum
With 17 hands-on interactive exhibits, come see for yourself why we’re the Place Where Awesome Lives! This summer, learn where chipmunks sleep, how bats communicate, and how different animals eat in our Animal Secrets exhibit, through August 26. Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd, Glenview. For more information, call (847) 832-6600 or visit www.kcmgc.org.
At Go Ape, it is our mission to inspire everyone to live life adventurously! Featuring multiple zip lines and treetop obstacles, our adventure courses are guaranteed to deliver laughter, smiles and a sense of accomplishment. Our activities offer adventure for all ages and are perfect for friends, families, and even parties or company outings. Located in Bemis Woods Forest Preserve: 1100 Ogden Avenue, Western Springs, IL. Visit us online at goape.com for more info.
Naper Settlement, located at 523 S. Webster St., in the heart of Downtown Naperville, IL. Sprawled across 13-acres, visitors explore the beautiful grounds, historic buildings and chat with costumed interpreters. Families enjoy numerous outdoor events all summer long. Little ones cool off at the Early Learning Playscape and splash pad. For a full list of programs and events visit NaperSettlement.org . For more information, call 630.420.6010.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
Please join us at the following events. May 18th Club Meeting to discuss ‘Bee Keeping’ at the Bohemian Crystal, Westmont. The Tosai Auction, for members only, will be on May19th in Plainfield. Membership available at auction. The Spring Koi & Goldfish Auction takes place on June 2nd. Includes a silent auction for pond equipment. Buying open to public. Lyonsville Congregational Church, Indian Head Park. The Club Meeting on June 15th topic ‘Body Smart Gardening’ will be held at Alberto’s, Carol Stream. And, on June 22nd – 24th, come out to our 26th Annual Koi Show and Trade Show. Free Admission. The MAX, 4750 Vernon Ave, McCook. For more information call 312-409-2081 or visit www.mpks.org.
Reed’s Canoe Trips are an ideal recreational activity for groups of any size, from a family adventure to large church, school, or park district outing with an adventure close to home. The three trips we offer range in length from approximately 2 hours to a full 6 hours on the water, and are suitable for either new or experienced canoeists. Since the Kankakee River is located only an hour south of Chicagoland, even our longest trip will fit into a one-day outing! 907 N. Indiana Ave, Rt. 50, Kankakee, IL Call for information or reservations: (815)WE CANOE or visit: reedscanoetrips.com .
Holes & Knolls
Glen Ellyn Park District
“Swing” into Holes & Knolls Mini Golf for a whole lot of fun this summer! The course includes 36 holes of beautifully landscaped grounds everyone from tots to grandparents will enjoy. Plan to stay for the day as Holes & Knolls is surrounded by endless opportunities for family fun including a splash park and adventure playground. There are also snacks and ice cream in the Maryknoll Café. Address: 845 Pershing Avenue, Glen Ellyn. www.HolesAndKnolls.com.Lake Ellyn .
Mountain View Adventure Center
Des Plaines Park District
This challenging 18-hole mini golf course features a gold-rush mining town theme, with waterfalls, obstacles, and some rather interesting signposts. Step up to the plate in one of six Batting Cages, with a full range of softball and baseball pitches. Free Skate and BMX park. Concessions and picnic shelter. A great place for parties and outings. 510 E. Algonquin Rd., Des Plaines, IL 847-391-5733 www.DPParks.org .
Kane County Cougars
Now in their 28th season in nearby Geneva, the Kane County Cougars have been at the forefront of affordable and family-friendly fun while providing Major League affiliated baseball. Now, a Class A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, over 160 former Cougars have worn a Major League jersey. Every Cougars game is packed with fun, delicious food, between inning on field events as well as great baseball. Select games feature post-game fireworks and live music. The Cougars regular season schedule runs through Labor Day. For information on Weekly Specials, game tickets and Group outings visit www.kccougars.com or call 630-232-8811.
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Come camping in Kane County! You can get away from it all without spending it all. Paul Wolff Campground in Elgin and Big Rock Campground in Big Rock offer with electric and water hook-ups for RV camping, plus tent and equestrian camp sites. Both campgrounds are within beautiful Kane County forest preserves where you’ll enjoy miles of trails and other amenities. Sites range from $12 to $35 per day. Call 630-444-1200 or visit www.kaneforest.com.
Visit Downtown Naperville This Summer! – Come “be in the mix” in Downtown Naperville. With our 100 shops – from national favorites to one of a kind boutiques plus over 40 restaurants, pubs, wine bars and more, and spas and fitness boutiques, there’s something for everyone! We have movies in the park, summer concerts – and don’t miss the Summer Painted Book Benches on display around Downtown Naperville. For a list of events and details, visit www.downtownnaperville.com for or up to the minute updates, sign up to receive our weekly e-newsletter on the website or follow Downtown Naperville on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Carnival of the Animals with Divertissements from Paquita
Salt Creek Ballet
McAninch Arts Center, College of DuPage
Carnival of the Animals brings to life Camille Saint-Saëns’ grand zoological fantasy in a witty and sophisticated musical salute to the animal kingdom. Paquita, the fiery Spanish ballet with a thrilling score by Ludwig Minkus, features an internationally recognized guest artist and stunning costumes. All happening on Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20. Special onstage experience: Animal Adventure, after Saturday’s performance (Must call box office). Tickets: www.atthemac.org (630) 942-4000.
FITNESS / RACE EVENTS…
Groovin’ in the Grove 5K – Saturday, 5/12 at 9 AM. 5K Run and Kids’ 1K, 1/2K, 100 Yd Dash. Warrior Fitness Challenge. USATF and CARA certified. Benefits Sharing Connections. Midwestern University, Downers Grove. www.29thgroovininthegrove5k.eventbrite.com.
The Pink 5K Run/Walk – Saturday 5/12 at 8 AM. USATF & CARA certified. Team and individual registration accepted. Benefits Hinsdale Hospital Foundation. Oak Brook Park District. 1450 Forest Gate Rd. Oak Brook. 630-990-4233. www.obparks.org/pink5k.
- Chi-Town Showdown 5K – Sat 5/12 at 8:30 AM. 5K Run/Walk and Kids’ Dash. USATF certified. Benefits the Showdown Scholarship. Mokena. 708-390-2401.
- Foodie 5K – Sat 5/12 at 9 AM. 5K Run/Walk. Benefits N.IL Food Bank. Libertyville. 847-336-3663.
- Groovin’ in the Grove 5K – Sat., 5/12 at 9 AM. 5K Run and Kids’ 1K, 1/2K, 100 Yd Dash,Warrior Fitness Challenge. USATF and CARA certified. Benefits Sharing Connections. Midwestern University. Downers Grove www.29thgroovininthegrove5k.eventbrite.com
- Hope for Haitians 5K Walk/Run for Education – Sat 5/12 at 8:30 AM. Geneva. hopeforhaitians.secure.force.com.
- Illinois Lupus Walk – Sat 5/12 1MI and 3 MI routes. Olympia Fields. illinoislupusWalk.org.
- Push for the Path PeppeRUNi 5K – Sat 5/12 at 8 AM. Yorkville. 630-553-4350.
- The Pink 5K Run/Walk – Sat., 5/12 at 8 AM. USATF & CARA certified. Team and individual registration accepted. Benefits Hinsdale Hosp. Foundation. Oak Brook Park District. 1450 Forest Gate Rd. Oak Brook. 630-990-4233. www.obparks.org/pink5k
- Quarryman Challenge – Sat 5/12 at 7:30 AM. 10MI and 5K. CARA certified. Lemont. quarrymanchallenge.com. 708-705-6791.
- Apple Blossom Run 5K/10K/Stroller Rollers – Sat 5/12 at 8 AM. Bartlett. bartlettparks.org
- Dyslexia Walk/5K Run – Sat 5/12 at 7:30 AM. Benefits children with dyslexia. Scottish Rite Cathedral, Bloomingdale.walkfordyslexia.org.
- Squeez’d Girls on the Run – Sat 5/12 at 8 AM. 5K Run/Walk and Li’l Spark Sprints. Joliet. gotrchicago.org.
- Cooley Run 5K – Sun 5/13 at 8:05 AM. 5K Run and Superhero Dash. CARA Certified. Huntley. email@example.com.
- Komen Chicagoland Mother’s Day Race for the Cure – Sun 5/13 at 9 AM. 5K Run/Walk. Benefits Susan G. Komen Foundation. Chicago. chicagoland.info-komen.org.
- Mother’s Day 5K Run/Walk – Sun 5/13 at 8 AM. 5K Run/Walk and Free Kids’ Fun Run. USATF certified. Barrington. allcommunityevents.com.
UPCOMING FITNESS / RACE EVENTS:
- Lilac Mutt Strut 5K Run & 1 Mile Puppy Path – Saturday, 5/19 at 8:00 AM. USATF certified; Run/walk with your dog! Lombard. 630-620-7322. www.Lombardparks.com.
- Run For The Brave 5K Run/Walk/Ruck – Saturday, 5/26 at 8AM. Benefiting Illinois Veterans. Plainfield, Illinois. 630-302-2638. www.welcomeyouhome.org.
- Western Springs 41st Annual Tower Trot– Saturday, 5/26 at 8:30 AM. 10K, 5K, & Fun Run, plus Double Run (10K& 5K). CARA & USATF certified. Benefits Healing Hearts for Ashley. Grand Avenue Community Center, 4211 Grand Avenue, Western Springs. 708-246-9070. www.wsprings.com/towertrot.
- Cori’s Triathlon – Sat. 6/2 at 8AM. One of the largest youth triathlons in the area! This fun event designed for kids 6-14. Welcomes all skill levels! Oak Brook. 630-990-4233. www.obparks.org/coris.
- Mid-American Canoe and Kayak Race – Sunday 6/3 at 7 AM. 11 canoe divisions, 8 kayak divisions and 1 open (non-competitive) division. Aurora. 630-892-1550. www.foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
- DASH for Detection – 5K Walk/Run for Pancreatic Cancer Research . Sat. 6/2 at 9 AM. Family friendly 5K walk/run along Chicago lakefront. Benefits Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation. Montrose Harbor, Chicago. 773-989-1108. www.rolfefoundation.org.
- Honor Ride Chicago – Sunday, 6/10 at 8 AM. Three non-competitive routes. Beginning and ending in Skokie. Benefits our Healing Heroes. Evanston Subaru. 818-888-7091 x 106. www.evanstonsubaru.com/honorridechicago.htm.
- Superhero 5K Run/Walk – Saturday, 6/16 at 8:30 AM. 5K & 1 Mile Fun Run, USATF Certified. Benefits JOURNEYS | The Road Home. Towne Square, Palatine. 847-963-9163. www.journeystheroadhome.org/superhero-5k .
Now is the perfect time to plan a great Summertime Camp experience for your children. Click here for the most comprehensive listing of summer camps in the Chicago suburbs and surrounding areas! Also, if you missed our last issue, more summer camps are featured here.
FAIRS & FESTIVALS…
Happy Mother’s Day…check back next week for Fairs & Festivals
GREATER CHICAGO EVENTS…
THURSDAY, MAY 10
- ADULTS Presentation – A John Marshall Law School professor will discuss major issues facing the U.S. Supreme Court. Q&A and discussion over coffee and dessert will follow the presentation. 7 PM. Cantigny Park. Register wheatonlwvil.org.
- ADULTS Resume Makeover – Bring your resume for a detailed analysis from expert from Illinois Worknet. Helen Plum Library, Lombard. 7-8:30 PM. Register 630-627-0316.helenplum.org.
FRIDAY, MAY 11
- CONCERT Chorale – “Love Is In The Air” is the theme for this concert featuring popular music including renditions of famous Beatles and Carpenter’s songs as well as tunes from the 1930s and 1940s. 7:30 PM. Wheaton College, Wheaton. gewchorale.org.
SATURDAY, MAY 12
- CONCERT Chorale – “Love Is In The Air” is the theme for this concert featuring popular music including renditions of famous Beatles and Carpenter’s songs as well as tunes from the 1930s and 1940s. 3 PM. Wheaton College, Wheaton. gewchorale.org.
- FAMILY Celebrate Mothers – The McCormick Museum invites families for this drop-in program with interactive themes. Join us as we celebrate all the moms by making cards and a few other make-and-take activities. 12-3 PM. Visitor’s Center, Cantigny Park. www.cantigny.org.
- FAMILY Illusionist – A magician and artist will lead an unforgettable hour of enthralling mysteries and illusions. Andrews’ innovative performances have been praised by PBS, The Daily Mail and Chicago Tribune. Intended for ages 18 and up. 3 PM. McCormick House, Cantigny Park. cantigny.org.
- GARDENERS Petals for Pets – Buy affordably priced spring garden plants and floral for a good cause. West Suburban Humane Society. Sat.+ Sun. 9 AM to 3 PM. 1901 Ogden Ave. Downers Grove. 630-960-9600.
- GARDENERS Plant Sale – Choose varieties for sun or shade – mature perennials, herbs, vegetables, native plants, ground covers members’ local gardens. Cash/check, rain/shine Knowledgeable club members will be on hand to help. 8:30-11 AM. Gardeners of Central Lake County. Register 847-772-2186.
- PETS Expo – Fun, educational even for area animal lovers. Bring your pet. 9 AM-1PM. Clow-Stephens Park, Plainfield. plfdparks.org.
- CHICAGO/CITY Adler Planetarium “What Is A Planet?” – Award-winning exhibit explains what really happened to Pluto and why it matters. Scientific definitions have changed since the ancient astronomers; explore the discoveries through October 21 adlerplanetarium.org.
SUNDAY, MAY 13
Wishing all MOMS the warmest and happiest MOTHER’S DAY!
TUESDAY, MAY 15
- KIDS Plant A Story – While overlooking the expansive gardens of Lilacia Park from the Library’s Plaza, we’ll listen to a spring story, paint a flowerpot, and plant a seed so you can watch it grow at home. 10-10:45 AM. Helen Plum Library, Lombard. 630-627-0316.helenplum.org.
- FAMILY Mother’s Day Skate – Give Mom the gift she really wants this year – time spent with her family! Moms get in free with a paid child. Moms can get a free photo taken with their families. 3-4:30 PM. Triphahn Center and Ice Arena Hoffman Estates. heparks.org.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 16
- TOUR War History – A bus trip from the Elmhurst History Museum to the First Division Museum at Cantigny in Wheaton will take visitors to a guided tour to learn more about the history of the Great War. 12:45-4 PM. Elmhurst History Museum. elmhursthistory.org.
Click above for special offerings from this issue’s sponsors.
For more visit … http//www.chicagosuburbanfamily.com